Michał Piekarski heads the Energy Practice in Baker McKenzie's Warsaw office. He has over ten years' experience advising Polish and foreign energy companies. Prior to joining the Firm, he practiced in various international law firms and was an in-house lawyer to a large private energy group in Poland. He is a ranked lawyer by both Legal 500 and Chambers in Energy & Natural Resources - Poland.
Michał Piekarski focuses his practice on the energy market regulations and acquisitions with a special focus on renewable energy sources. He has advised on some of the biggest and most complex projects and transactions within the last 10 years in Polish energy sector. Michal is also a well-known and active expert in advising and promoting development of the offshore wind projects in Poland supporting domestic and foreign investors in their offshore wind business development and acquisitions.
Representative Legal Matters
Offshore wind projects in Poland:
- Providing comprehensive legal services to the largest Polish Oil&Gas Company in relation to the development of it’s offshore wind project of a 1200 MW in Polish Baltic Sea.
- Assisting the largest Polish Energy Entity in legal due diligence and potential transaction of an offshore wind farm project in Polish Baltic Sea.
- Providing comprehensive legal assistance to the Swedish energy company with regard to the development of it’s offshore wind business in Poland.
- Assisting one of the largest European Chemical Company in development and potential acquisitions of the offshore wind projects in Polish Baltic Sea.
- Advising Wind Power Invest A/S (Vestas Group) in the acquisition of an onshore wind farms portfolio of more than 200 MW.
- Assisting Kulczyk Investments SA in the acquisition of a major stake in Polish Energy Partners SA, one of the largest privately-owned capital group investing in onshore wind farms and biomass projects.
- Providing regulatory assistance to Polenergia Elektrociepłownia Nowa Sarzyna in the operation of a 116 MW heat and power generation plant in Southern Poland, including negotiations of a strategic agreements with the Polish Transmission System Operator.
- Assisting number of energy trading companies in reviewing and negotiating EFET/PPA/CPA and other agreements concerning trade-in of energy, gas and green certificates.
- Assisting number of domestic and foreign energy companies in all the types of regulatory issues, including concessioning, tariffs and other concerns including representing them before the Energy Regulatory Authority in Poland.
- Advising one of the largest Automotive Companies in Europe in development of their e-mobility business in Poland.
- Poland (2015)
Co-author of publication “Offshore Investments in Polish Maritime Areas” in CEE Legal Matters.
Baker McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa