Since 2016 Michał Piekarski has been the head of Baker McKenzie's Energy and Infrastructure Practice in Warsaw. He is also a member of the Firm's Steering Committee for the Projects Practice Group in EMEA. He has over twelve years' experience advising Polish and foreign energy companies. Prior to joining the Firm, he practised in various international law firms and was an in-house lawyer for one of the largest private energy groups in Poland. Since 2017, he has continuously been recommended by leading publications such as Chambers and Legal 500, being awarded with many distinctions such as Next Generation Lawyer, Up and Coming or Rising Star at Energy & Natural Resources in Poland.
Michał Piekarski focuses his practice on energy market regulations and acquisitions with a special focus on renewable energy sources and new technologies. He has advised on some of the biggest and most complex projects and transactions within the last decade in the Polish energy sector. Michał is also a well-known and active expert in advising and promoting offshore wind projects in Poland as well as other energy transition technologies such as hydrogen, e-mobility and nuclear (including in particular SMR).
Representative Legal Matters
Offshore Wind Projects
- PKN ORLEN S.A. – providing comprehensive legal services to the largest Polish oil & gas company in connection with building the first Polish offshore wind farm with a planned capacity of 1.2 GW, which will be constructed in the Polish Baltic Sea, and representing PKN ORLEN in negotiating JVA with Northland Power Inc.
- IBERDROLA S.A. – advising in the complex process of JVA negotiations, signing and closing with SeaWind (an offshore wind developer active in Poland).
- PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna S.A. – assisting in legal due diligence and the potential transaction of an offshore wind farm project in the Polish Baltic Sea.
- VATTENFALL AB – providing comprehensive legal assistance with regard to the potential development of an offshore wind business in Poland.
- SYNTHOS S.A. – assisting one of the largest European chemical companies in the potential development and acquisition of offshore wind projects in the Polish Baltic Sea.
- INFRACAPITAL – comprehensive legal services in connection with the planned acquisition of a 166 MW wind farm project (consisting of 2 sites) developed by Uriel Renovables S.A. in Poland.
- IBERDROLA S.A. – legal services in connection with the acquisition of three new onshore wind farms in Poland with a total capacity of 163 MW from CEE Equity Partners.
- WIND POWER INVEST A/S (Vestas Group) in the acquisition of an onshore wind farm portfolio of more than 200 MW.
- VESTAS Deutschland GmbH – legal services in connection with the sale of an onshore wind project in north-eastern Poland.
- EUROPEAN ENERGY A/S – providing legal services in connection with the acquisition and further development of several onshore wind farm projects with a total capacity exceeding 150 MW, including advice on a turbine supply contract and a full service contract.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Warsaw Legal Advisor Association
- Poland (2015)
- Warsaw University (LL.M.) (2010)
- University of Cambridge (English & European Law Diploma) (2010)
Co-author, "Offshore Investments in Polish Maritime Areas," CEE Legal Matters Issue 5.2, February 2018
Baker McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa