Miriam Petrillo primarily practices in the field of employment and labor relations law. She is also actively involved in pro bono matters including political asylum, juvenile delinquency, legal assessments and other cases before federal, state and local courts and agencies. Ms. Petrillo earned her JD at the Northwestern University School of Law, and is currently a member of the American Bar Association and the Chicago Bar Association.
Ms. Petrillo focuses her practice on representing employers in single-plaintiff, multi-plaintiff and class action litigation in federal and state court. Within this area, Ms. Petrillo regularly defends clients against claims brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Title VIII of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX), the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), and the Illinois Human Rights Act (IHRA). Her practice also includes advising clients on day-to-day employment law matters including the preparation of employee handbooks, employee-related policies, ADA and FMLA compliance and employee separations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Won ERISA retiree healthcare benefits dispute after a five day bench trial. Affirmed by Eighth Circuit.
- Obtained dismissal of Title VII discrimination claim on the basis that such claims cannot be assigned. Affirmed by First Circuit.
- Defending a Fortune 500 Company with respect to unfair labor practice charges relating to a recent election before the NLRB.
- Defending a large hotel chain in arbitration award enforcement proceeding and grievance arbitrations relating to contract interpretation and subcontracting
- Defense of putative state wide class action filed against a Fortune 500 Company involving issues of first impression under Illinois Wage and Hour laws.
- Defense of Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower complaint filed by a former high-level, foreign-based employee.
- Defense of multi-plaintiff Section 1983 race discrimination claim filed against Illinois municipality by former business owners.
- Rising Star, Employment & Labor, Employment Litigation: Defense, Super Lawyers Illinois 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
Ms. Petrillo is also actively involved in pro bono matters, including political asylum, juvenile delinquency, and other cases before federal, state, and local courts and agencies.
- Illinois~United States (2006)
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D.) (2006)
- Indiana University (B.A.) (2002)