René Pérez Ruiz, managing partner of the Firm’s Tijuana office, has more than 20 years of experience practicing in the areas of employment and corporate law. He is the coordinator of the Employment Practice Group of Baker McKenzie’s Mexican offices, and sits on the steering committee of the Firm’s Latin America Labor & Employment Practice Group. He is a member of the Tijuana Industrial and Development Council, as well as the Tijuana Development Corporation where he presides on the Commission on Bi-National Matters. Mr. Pérez-Ruiz has also delivered speeches on corporate and employment law matters in seminars organized by the Asociación Nacional de la Industria Maquiladora, the University of San Diego, the Chamber of Commerce of San Diego and the County Bar Association of Los Angeles California, among others.
Mr. Pérez Ruiz’s practice includes general employment consulting, labor litigation, employment agreements, payroll taxes and employee benefit plans. He also helps clients proactively prevent labor- and union-related conflicts. Mr. Pérez-Ruiz advises clients on collective bargaining agreements, occupational health and safety issues, confidentiality agreements and lawsuit prevention plans. His practice likewise covers corporate shutdowns and layoffs, due diligence work, in-house training and general advisory work on expatriate structures and litigation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted in union negotiations of collective bargaining agreements for foreign companies in the film and tourism industries with productions in Mexico.
- Handled the successful litigation of some of the most relevant labor law related lawsuits initiated by executive level expatriates.
- Advised foreign investors on various matters involving Mexican labor legislation compliance.
- Represented foreign industries in the resolution of collective union matters and strikes.
- Participated in multiple negotiations and renegotiations of collective bargaining agreements on behalf of clients.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Employment Litigation Attorneys
- National Association of Corporate Lawyers
- Mexico (1985)
- Universidad Panamericana (Master's Degree Economic and Corporate Law) (1983)
- Universidad del Valle de México (J.D.) (1982)
- Mexico City