Anne Peng is a special counsel of Baker McKenzie Hong Kong's Tax Practice Group. She has extensive experience advising multinational companies (MNCs) on various China regulatory and compliance issues. In her career, Ms. Peng creatively and successfully solved problems for many clients. She has been recognized by clients as one of "the most skilled and dedicated lawyers in the legal industry" (APAC Insider Magazine, 2015).
Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Peng worked with a Big Four accounting firm, and advised many well-known MNCs on Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) related issues. She also worked with the General Administration of PRC Customs (GAC) for eight years and held the rank of deputy director. Ms. Peng published one monograph, eight books as a co-writer, one co-translation book, more than 40 papers and investigation reports. Some of her books are found in libraries of the HK Legislative Council, HK Department of Justice and the University of Hong Kong. She has also published articles in publications such as the HK Economic Journal and Metropolis Daily.
Ms. Peng’s practice focuses on, but is not limited to, international trade, customs, tax, import and export controls, and advisory work relating to distribution and supply chain strategies in China and Hong Kong. Ms. Peng has extensive experience assisting companies in dealing with disclosures and audit defenses with Chinese authorities on various trade-related matters. She also advises many well-known multinational companies on export controls and trade compliance issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a number of MNCs on customs and tax issues in China, communicated with China customs and tax reconsideration authorities, and successfully settled disputes for the clients.
- Advised various MNCs on the regulatory issues relating to e-commerce, cloud computing, data privacy and customs protection of intellectual property rights, etc.
- Advised a number of foreign-invested enterprises on China's import and export laws and regulations, product standards, quality, labelling requirements, trade compliance, cross-border M&A, and successfully helped clients solve many complex problems in international trade.
- Advised many MNCs on various Hong Kong trade issues, such as import and export license requirements for strategic commodities, labelling, Radio-dealer license, waste disposal, Approval-in-Principle Arrangement for bulk users (AIP), Transhipment Cargo Exemption Scheme (TCES), transfer permit, voluntary disclosure and application for retrospective import and export licenses in Hong Kong.
- Advised many MNCs on commercial encryption, export control and sanctions issues in Hong Kong and China.
- Coordinated with lawyers at Baker McKenzie global offices to provide legal advice on the multi-jurisdictional regulatory issues in the prospectus, and assisted a number of high-tech Chinese civil enterprises listing their shares in Hong Kong.
- Best Foreign Lawyer in Hong Kong, APAC Insider Magazine, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Hong Kong - Member, Registered Foreign Lawyer
- Law Society of the PRC - Member
- People's Republic of China~China (1996)
- The University of Hong Kong (LL.M.) (2004)
- Renmin University of China (Ph.D. of Law and LL.M.) (1997)
- South Central University of Economics & Law (LL.B.) (1992)
- Washington, DC