James advises on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious matters across a variety of industry sectors.
His non-contentious practice primarily consists of drafting and negotiating a wide range of commercial contracting arrangements, including IT and business process sourcing agreements, agreements for the supply of goods and services, software licensing and maintenance agreements, distribution agreements, manufacturing and logistics agreements.
His contentious practice consists of advising on the resolution of technology and other commercial disputes and data controversies (e.g., breach notification and data subject claims). James has experience on alternative dispute resolution procedures, mediation and settlement negotiations, as well as high court proceedings and arbitration.
James has been on secondment to the network sharing and IT procurement team of a mobile network operator, and the IP agreements and licensing team of a leading international oil company.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a major high street bank licensee in relation to restatement, remediation and renegotiation of business critical software licenses.
- Acting for an IT service provider in relation to delay/extension of time claims in respect of a data center migration for a financial services customer.
- Acting for an IT services and solutions provider in relation to arbitral proceedings arising from the termination of a complex communications systems integration project for a confidential customer.
- Advising an IT services provider on a TCC dispute with its subcontractor engaged to provide break-fix services to its customer base.
- Advising a laboratory services provider on its response to a potential personal data breach and interactions with various regulators.
- Advising an IT services provider in relation to a dispute regarding performance of system build obligations for a high-profile government contract.
- Advising a software provider in relation to its dispute with a financial institution following a series of system crashes.
- Advising a telecoms operator, a data services company and a cloud platform in respect of claims brought by data subjects for alleged GDPR breaches.
- Advising major UK high street bank on framework agreement with a IT supplier for development of bespoke anti-money-laundering solution.
- Advising a pharmaceutical company on a business process outsourcing for its finance and procurement organization.
- Advising leading cloud services business on negotiations with Middle Eastern government to establish new data center in a free zone.
- Advising UK-based MNO on various procurements including data center colocation, transmission and other network components. James has also advised this MNO on its network sharing arrangements in light of proposed network operator consolidation activities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Society for Computers and Law
- Tech Disputes Network
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2013)
- College of Law (LP) (2010)
- University of Bristol (BSc Chemistry and Law (First Class Honours)) (2009)