Howmera Parak is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Tax Practice Group in Johannesburg. She has experience in all areas of corporate and transactional tax.
Howmera focuses on the structuring of corporate reorganisations and , restructuring, corporate finance, and financial products. She also handles international tax including cross-border transactions and exchange control, and advises on tax dispute resolution, general tax administration and fiscal statutes.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising the financial services industry, banks and other major corporates on the structuring of corporate financing including loan funding, preference share funding, hybrid debt, waiver of debt, share buyback transactions, convertible funding instruments, securitisations, forward sale agreement, hedge instruments, project finance and exchange control affecting cross-border financing.
- Structuring of corporate reorganisation, restructuring, and M&A transactions related to major deals in South Africa involving listed entities, multi-nationals and foreign entities.
- Provides opinions to significant international clients wishing to establish a South African presence. This includes advice on the most appropriate vehicle to house business presence, funding of entity, repatriating profits out of South Africa and issues concerning effective management and creating a permanent establishment in South Africa.
- Structuring of outward investments to significant domestic corporates in South Africa, including advising on controlled foreign company regime and headquarter regime in relation to outward investments.
- Drafting exchange control memoranda for national and international clients, dealing with varied issues across the Exchange Control Regulations and Rulings.
- Submitting exchange control applications to the South African Reserve Bank.
- Assisting in regularising exchange control contraventions.
- Advising on the taxation of Islamic financial instruments.
- Preparing and submitting applications on behalf of domestic and international banks and money remitters to obtain a license as an authorised dealer or authorised dealer with limited authority to the South African Reserve Bank.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of the Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (2012)
- University of KwaZulu-Natal (LLB) (1999)