Alex’s practice is focussed on Canadian tax issues that affect multinationals with operations in Canada, including international tax planning (inbound structuring, transfer pricing, foreign affiliate taxation, cross-border employee mobility, withholding tax, tax treaty issues), M&A, reorganizations and financings.
Alex represents clients before the Canada Revenue Agency (audits, appeals, ruling requests, waiver applications, voluntary disclosures). He also represents clients seeking legislative amendments from the Department of Finance. Clients include multinationals in the digital economy, infrastructure, resource, healthcare, consumer products and retail spaces.
Alex is a frequent speaker on international tax matters. Recent speaking engagements include presentations at events sponsored by the Tax Executives Institute, the Council on State Taxation, the International Fiscal Association (Canadian Branch), Bloomberg BNA and, of course, Baker McKenzie.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Fiscal Association, Canadian Branch - Council member
- Canadian Tax Foundation - Member
- Law Society of Ontario - Member
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario - Member
- Ontario~Canada (1996)
- University of Western Ontario (LL.B.)
- University of Waterloo (Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics)