James Pak is an experienced intellectual property litigator and trial lawyer in Baker McKenzie’s Washington, DC and San Francisco offices. He is also a member of the Firm’s Global and North America Intellectual Property Practice Groups. He has appeared before numerous US federal courts and in the US International Trade Commission, and has represented various clients in patent license negotiations. Mr. Pak has been recognized as one of IAM Licensing 250 – The World’s Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Practitioners, selected by the IP Media Group.
Mr. Pak represents a diverse range of clients on complex patent litigation and trials before US federal courts and in the US International Trade Commission. Experienced in all phases of patent matters, he is attentive to the underlying business issues facing clients in patent cases, and regularly works on matters involving multi-party joint defense arrangements, indemnification issues, patent trolls and appropriate damages assessments. In addition, Mr. Pak maintains an active, multijurisdictional patent licensing practice, which often involves technically essential patent portfolios, patent troll claims, and patent pools.
Representative Legal Matters
Represented Alloc which successfully obtained a jury verdict of non-infringement and invalidity of all asserted patent claims on multiple grounds.
Represented SCS in obtaining the first reported summary judgment of invalidity for obviousness under the Supreme Court's KSR v. Teleflex decision.
Represented MBT against a Korean manufacturer of certain comfort shoes in the USITC, resulting in a settlement following a denial of motion for summary determination of non-infringement.
Represented one of the largest wireless telephone service providers in patent infringement cases under complex joint defense arrangements.
Counseled and represented various manufacturers of wireless telecommunications equipment and LCD products in numerous patent license negotiations and settlement discussions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, Colorado~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin~United States (2007)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States (1998)
- Supreme Court of California~United States (1998)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States (1998)
- California~United States (1998)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States (1998)
- Duke University School of Law (J.D.) (1997)
- Duke University School of Law (LL.M. Comparative Law) (1997)
- Duke University (B.S. Engineering) (1994)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.