Cindy Owens is an associate in the Firm’s International Commercial Practice Group in our Washington, DC office. She recently transferred from our Singapore office where she worked for 2.5 years. While in Singapore, she handled a variety of trade matters including export controls and customs issues such as classification, origin, valuation and duty deferral. She also handled consumer health and safety regulatory compliance matters.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Cindy was a lawyer for both US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and US Department of Commerce. She also handled export control matters for a boutique firm in Washington, DC.
Representative Legal Matters
- Drafted and issued decisions for CBP on penalty and seizure matters including violations of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), food, health and safety regulations, drug enforcement regulations, intellectual property rights regulations and commercial fraud matters.
Customs Rulings and Regulations
- Drafted and published rulings defining CBP's interpretation of customs laws and regulations on a variety of issues including petroleum imports, customs business, drawback, foreign trade zones, bonded warehouses, temporary importations under bond, antidumping and countervailing duty matters.
- Represented CBP at Customs/Surety Executive Committee meetings.
Petroleum Imports and Exports
- Advised CBP's Petroleum, Natural Gas, and Minerals Center for Excellence and Expertise on legal and regulatory matters regarding the importation and exportation of petroleum.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Customs Lawyer's Association - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia~United States
- Maryland~United States
- George Washington University Law School (JD)
- University of Wisconsin (BS)