Yasutaka Orihara is a member of Baker McKenzie's Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions Group in Tokyo and has also worked with the Firm's Chicago office. He previously completed a secondment with a general trading company in Japan. Mr. Orihara has co-authored a number of publications and articles on various aspects of M&As and has been a prominent presenter at a number of forums. He is a member of the Tokyo Bar Association and the New York Bar Association. Mr. Orihara has been working for Baker McKenzie's Taipei office since September 2012 and returned to the Tokyo office in September 2014 (partly continuing the work at the Taipei office).
Mr. Orihara focuses on the legal aspects of domestic and cross-border M&A transactions and advises domestic and international clients on issues involving corporate law, the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act, the Labor Act, and antitrust law. He has significant experience in M&A structuring, due diligence and contract negotiations. Mr. Orihara assists clients in various management buyout transactions, takeover bids and corporate reorganizations, as well as venture capital investments and capital participation in domestic companies by foreign companies. Mr. Orihara assists investment by Japanese companies to foreign countries and dispute resolution in foreign jurisdictions, focusing mainly on Taiwan.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted the establishment of a joint venture company between a Taiwanese and a Japanese company in Taiwan.
- Represented a Taiwanese bank in the acquisition of a Japanese bank.
- Acted for a Taiwanese company in a dispute with respect to a business transfer.
- Assisted a major Japanese trading company for legal due diligence regarding an investment in a Taiwanese company.\
- Represented a major Japanese electronic company in an investment in a Taiwanese company.
- Assisted the Taipei City Government for a PFI project in Taipei City.
- Represented a leading CD/DVD rental company in the acquisition of a competitor through a takeover bid.
- Acted for a major Japanese chemical company in the establishment of a joint venture with a major German chemical company with respect to manufacturing products for lithium ion batteries.
- Assisted a major Japanese beverage maker in the spin-off of a business department, and a business and capital alliance with a vending machine sales company.
- Represented a leading Japanese machine manufacturing company with respect to a business transfer and establishment of a joint venture company in Thailand.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2008)
- Japan (2001)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M.) (2007)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan (Bachelor of Business Administration) (2001)
- Hitotsubashi University (LL.B.) (2000)
Co-author, "Series: Progress of Arbitration Organizations in Asia, Vol. 2 Taiwan," JCA Journal, Japan Commercial Arbitration Association, October 2014, Language: Japanese
Presenter, "Overview of laws regarding IPO in Tokyo Stock Exchange using JDR," 2014 IPO and JDR in Tokyo Stock Exchange Seminar in Taipei, Tokyo Stock Exchange (in Taipei City), December 2014
Presenter, "Hot topics in law and business in Taiwan" Legal measures in Asia, Asia Focus Group Seminar Series, Baker McKenzie Tokyo, October 2014
Presenter, "Basics and practices of M&A activities in Japan," Client Seminar, July 2014
Presenter, "Basics and practices of legal due diligence for domestic and cross-border M&A," Financial Management Forums Inc., September 2013