Sonia's practice focuses on technology agreements and transactions, outsourcing, data privacy, digital content (including licensing and exploitation), e-commerce, e-payments, social media, cybersecurity and telecommunications. She also advises clients on the full spectrum of issues involving consumer protection, advertising, intellectual property, gaming and franchising.
Sonia has in-depth experience negotiating high-value and complex technology agreements spanning hardware, software and enterprise services, gained through her time in-house with Hewlett-Packard. At Kimberly-Clark, she was also APAC Privacy Counsel and led data privacy initiatives and compliance programs across 13 jurisdictions, in addition to serving as APAC lead counsel for several global and regional outsourcing projects.
In 2019, Sonia was recognised amongst leading in-house professionals in the Legal 500 GC Powerlist: Southeast Asia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised one of Malaysia's largest total asset solutions businesses on its software development, licensing and commercialisation initiatives under its digital transformation agenda. This formed part of a broader project to implement a group-wide intellectual property policy and standard operating procedures, which involved helping the client navigate the complexities of their new digital/SaaS offerings (including IP protection, customer and vendor contracting guidance, as well as use of open source software).
- Led a multijurisdiction data privacy audit and gap analysis, as well as the development of a group-wide data protection policy framework, for a global technology provider with operations in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, China and the US spanning petrol retail solutions, data centers, health tech, big data, analytics and security systems.
- Represented and advised Malaysia's leading telecommunications provider on its public cloud services agreement with the subsidiary of one of China's fast-growing consumer electronics companies.
- Advised a global media and entertainment company on its international procurement and sourcing agreements and transactions spanning a broad range of services, including data center hosting, telecommunications and network services and content moderation outsourcing.
- Advised a regional pathology services provider on a data breach incident impacting its Malaysian business, which involved liability assessment, crisis management, strategic communications with customers and recommendations for mitigation, corrective measures and continuous improvement for its data protection and security policies and compliance framework.
- Advised a global insurer on its cybersecurity and data protection contractual framework with third party administrators handling customer data on the insurer's behalf, and developed model clauses for data protection and security, audits, business continuity and disaster recovery, including compliance with cybersecurity and outsourcing regulatory requirements of the Central Bank of Malaysia.
- Advised a global financial institution on data protection, data transfer and data localization concerns arising from its global cloud migration initiatives involving public cloud providers.
- Advised a multinational internet technology company on various product launches such as gaming, educational, social media, entertainment and e-commerce apps and platforms, covering a wide spectrum of issues including consumer protection, copyright, regulatory licensing, platform liability, advertising and data privacy, as well as local compliance reviews for online terms and conditions.
- Advised and led regional reviews for a global internet company on an ongoing basis on its e-money compliance and regulatory requirements across ASEAN, including new features, payment options and loyalty programs.
- Advised a global social media platform on market entry requirements for its e-commerce business in Malaysia, covering issues such as regulatory permits and licensing, consumer protection, product liability, advertising and marketing and data privacy.
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- University of the West of England, Bristol (LLB (Hons))
- Bahasa Malaysia