Sonia is a partner in the Intellectual Property & Technology Practice Group of Wong & Partners. She returned to private practice after successful stints as general counsel of Hewlett-Packard Malaysia and Kimberly-Clark Malaysia, Philippines and Indonesia.
In 2019, Sonia was recognised amongst leading in-house professionals in the Legal 500 GC Powerlist: Southeast Asia.
Her practice focuses on technology agreements and transactions, outsourcing, data privacy, digital content (including licencing and exploitation), e-commerce, e-payments, social media, cybersecurity and telecommunications. She also advises clients on the full spectrum of issues involving consumer protection, advertising, intellectual property, gaming and franchising.
Sonia has in-depth experience negotiating high-value and complex technology agreements spanning hardware, software and enterprise services, gained through her time in-house with Hewlett-Packard. At Kimberly-Clark, she was also Asia Pacific Privacy Counsel and led data privacy initiatives and compliance programs across 13 jurisdictions, in addition to serving as Asia Pacific lead counsel for several global and regional outsourcing projects.
Representative Legal Matters
- Developed a comprehensive privacy due diligence and compliance programme for a multinational CPG company with a focus on digital marketing and e-commerce.
- Negotiated high-value and complex IT hardware supply, software licencing and enterprise services agreements.
- Advised on intellectual property issues in corporate legal due diligence exercises in various merger and acquisition transactions, as well as IP-specific due diligence exercises.
- Led compliance due diligence exercises for multinational clients across various industries for compliance with Malaysian data privacy and competition laws.
- Represented an international provider of remote connectivity services for the oil and gas industry in applications to the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission for network facilities, network services and applications services provider class licences.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Malaysian Bar
- Kuala Lumpur Bar
- Advocate and Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2009)
- University of the West of England, Bristol (LLB (Hons)) (2006)
- Bahasa Malaysia