Yuichiro Omori is an associate in the Dispute Resolution and Antitrust/Competition practice groups of Baker McKenzie's Tokyo office. He mainly represents clients in international arbitration and international disputes, and handles companies’ cartel and fraud-related investigations.
He worked at the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Hong Kong from August to October 2016 and currently serves as a Regional Representative of the ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (ICC YAF).
Yuichiro focuses his practice on international arbitration, litigation and other dispute resolution matters. He also handles investigation cases (including cartel, bribery and other breach of regulations) and negotiations with government agencies.
Representative Legal Matters
International Arbitration Cases
- Represented the sellers in an ICC arbitration in Singapore in a dispute involving the calculation of the share purchase price and alleged breaches of representations and warranties under the Share Purchase Agreement.
- Represented a ship-building company in a complex ship construction dispute from the pre-arbitration stage in an LMAA arbitration in London.
- Represented a trading company in a series of JCAA arbitrations in Japan (a total of five cases) in foreign gold mining project disputes.
- Represented a trading company before the Tokyo District Court in a case concerning the setting aside of an international arbitration award.
International Litigation and Mediation Cases
- Assisted a major cosmetic company in a customer complaint dispute in the US California State Court over jurisdictional objections.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical company before the Labor Tribunal of the Tokyo District Court in a dispute regarding the discharge of its Tokyo branch’s CEO.
- Represented a major foreign furniture manufacturer before the Tokyo District Court in an unfair IP competition dispute.
- Represented a major foreign cosmetics company before the Tokyo District Court regarding a customer complaint dispute.
Antitrust / Competition Investigation Cases
- Conducted investigations, filed leniency applications to competition authorities including the Japan Fair Trade Commission (JFTC) and the US Department of Justice, and negotiated with the client’s customers for settlements in alleged international cartel cases (a total of three cases) by automobile parts manufacturers.
- Conducted investigations and filed a leniency application to the JFTC regarding an alleged bid-rigging case by a construction company.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- ICC’s Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) - Regional Representative
- HKIAC - Completed the Tribunal Secretary Training Programme
- HKIAC’s HK 45 - Member
- ICSID’s Young ICSID - Member
- SIAC’s Young SIAC - Member
- ICDR’s Young & International (Y&I) - Member
International Arbitration Related Activities
- Arbitrator, 14th Willem C. Vis (East) International Commercial Arbitration Moot in Hong Kong, 2017, Language: English
- Judge, 2017 JESSUP International Public Law Moot Competition Japan National Round, 2017, Language: English/Japanese
- Arbitrator, 10th Commercial Arbitration Moot in Japan, 2017, Language: English
- Arbitrator, 8th Commercial Arbitration Moot in Japan, 2015, Language: Japanese
- Arbitrator, 13th Intercollegiate Negotiation Competition (International Arbitration Section), 2013, Language: Japanese
- Member, National Criminal Defense Lawyer for indigent defendants, January 2011 - On-going
- Legal Intern: The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) (Trial Chamber), August - October 2017
- Legal Intern, The International Committee of the Red Cross Mission in Japan, November 2016 - February 2017
- Skilled Volunteer, Save the Children USA (International Program – Department of Education and Child Protection), June - August 2016
- Legal Intern, International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (The Koons Family Institute on International Law & Policy), January - April 2016
- Member, International Legal Cooperation Center (Japan Federation of Bar Associations), 2012 - On-going
- Member, Law Education Committee (Tokyo Bar Association), April 2011 - March 2014
- Legal Intern, Japan International Cooperation Agency (Department of Rule of Law), August - September 2010
- New York~United States (2017)
- Japan (2010)
- Georgetown University Law Center (Master of Laws International Studies) (2016)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan (2010)
- Kobe University (JD) (2009)
- Osaka University (LLB) (2007)