Kyle Richard Olson represents companies in international arbitration, a field in which Legal 500 recognized him as an "up and comer" in 2019, and complex commercial litigation in trial and appellate courts around the country. Kyle is past co-Chair of the Baker McKenzie Chicago Associates Committee, and a member of the Baker McKenzie Chicago Pro Bono Committee. He also serves on the Board of Directors for Almost Home Kids, an affiliate of Chicago's Lurie Children's Hospital, which provides transitional and respite care for medically complex children and their families. Kyle has also presented and authored articles on the evolving practice of international arbitration and commercial litigation in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Kyle has authored several articles in legal publications and newspapers, including Legal 500, McGill University Journal of Dispute Resolution, and the Chicago Tribune. Prior to starting full-time practice at the Firm, he served in the appeals division of the Office of the Prosecutor for the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague.
Representative Legal Matters
Successfully co-first chaired international arbitration before an SCC panel for a global hospitality company bringing claims against an owner under a suite of Hotel Agreements, obtaining Final Award of more than USD 13 million, including lost profits damages and costs.
Co-first chaired an international arbitration before an ICC panel for a publicly traded influenza vaccine manufacturer bringing claims under a long-term supply agreement, resulting in Final Award that included recovery of fees.
Second-chaired a large international commercial arbitration for an international plastics manufacturer in a supply chain dispute before an ICDR panel in a case involving claims of breach of supply contract and lost business equity value damages, including preparing and taking a direct examination of expert witness whose testimony helped defeat a USD 33 million damages claim.
Obtained a large final award in a Paris-venued ICC international arbitration on behalf of a healthcare company bringing multiple claims arising from contract.
Led summary judgment briefing and successfully obtained two summary judgments in Illinois court, on the merits, for a Chicago-area industrial manufacturer defending multi-million dollar claims involving mass tort, corporate successor liability and veil-piercing.
Defeated a million-dollar plus federal product liability action in the US Northern District of Illinois on behalf of an industrial and commercial lighting manufacturer, including the taking of depositions, management of discovery and appearances in federal court.
Managed a team of over 20 lawyers in an international electronic document production on behalf of an insulation manufacturer for a product liability dispute across numerous national jurisdictions in Asia and Europe.
Member of two trial teams and counsel of record in US federal court for a multidistrict litigation matter, participated in court proceedings, drafted pre-trial brief, closing memorandum of law, Daubert motions and responses, motions in limine and responses and expert witness examinations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Almost Home Kids, Affiliate of Chicago Lurie Children’s Hospital - Member, Board of Directors
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- Kyle maintains an active pro bono practice, having successfully led multiple cases for indigent clients in state and federal courts.
- Past Co-Chair, Baker McKenzie's Chicago Associates Committee
- Member, Baker McKenzie Chicago Pro Bono Committee
- Honored with Baker McKenzie's Robert L. Berner Jr. Pro Bono and Public Service Award of Excellence, 2011, 2017, 2018
- Recipient, Outstanding Pro Bono Volunteer award for pro bono commitment, 2010-2014 and 2016, 2018
- Managing Editor, Northwestern Journal of International Human Rights (while in law school)
- Researcher, Concern Worldwide US, Global Poverty Relief Non-Profit, 2006
- Guardian ad Litem Child Advocate, 2001-2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States
- Illinois~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2009)
- King's College London, UK (M.A. Merit) (2006)
- Wake Forest University (B.A. magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) (2004)
- Co-author, "Mastering the Virtual Deposition," Bloomberg Law, 9 June 2020
- Co-author, "Best Practices For A Paperless Law Practice," Law 360, 3 June 2020
- Author, “Think International Arbitration is ‘Soft’ Litigation? Think Again,” Legal 500, fivehundred magazine, June 2019
- Author, "The Appeal of the Right to Appeal: The ICDR Adopts Optional Appellate Arbitration Rules to Advance the Availability of Appellate Rights in International Commercial Arbitration," McGill University Journal of Dispute Resolution, Vol. 3 No. 86, 2016-2017
- Co-author, "When Does a Data Breach confer the Right to Sue the Non-Thief?," Baker McKenzie Global Class Action Blog, April 2016