Kyle Richard Olson assists clients with complex commercial litigation, at both the trial and appellate levels, and on international arbitration. Kyle has also authored several articles related to international law in newspapers and legal publications, including the Chicago Tribune and McGill University Journal of Dispute Resolution.
Prior to starting full-time practice at the Firm, he served in the appeals division of the Office of the Prosecutor for the United Nations International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague.
Representative Legal Matters
Successfully led a case up to trial and obtained voluntary dismissal for client facing eviction.
Second-chaired a large international commercial arbitration for an international plastics manufacturer in a supply chain dispute before an ICDR panel in a case involving claims of breach of supply contract and lost business equity value damages, including preparing and taking a direct examination of expert witness whose testimony helped defeat a USD 33 million damages claim.
Obtained a large final award in international arbitration on behalf of a healthcare company bringing multiple claims arising from contract.
Led summary judgment briefing and successfully obtained two summary judgments in Illinois court, on the merits, for a Chicago-area industrial manufacturer defending multi-million dollar claims involving mass tort, corporate successor liability and veil-piercing.
Defeated a USD 1.1 million federal product liability action in the US Northern District of Illinois on behalf of an industrial and commercial lighting manufacturer, including the taking of depositions, management of discovery and appearances in federal court.
Managed a team of over 20 lawyers in an international electronic document production on behalf of an insulation manufacturer for a product liability dispute across numerous national jurisdictions in Asia and Europe.
Served as a member of two trial teams and counsel of record in US federal court for a multidistrict litigation matter, participated in court proceedings, drafted pre-trial brief, closing memorandum of law, Daubert motions and responses, motions in limine and responses and expert witness examinations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Almost Home Kids, Affiliate of Chicago Lurie Children’s Hospital - Member, Board of Directors
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- Kyle maintains an active pro bono practice, having successfully led multiple cases for indigent clients in state and federal courts.
- Member, Baker McKenzie's Chicago Pro Bono Committee
- Past Chair, Baker McKenzie's Chicago Associates Committee
- Honored with Baker McKenzie's Robert L. Berner Jr. Pro Bono and Public Service Award of Excellence, 2011, 2017, 2018
- Recipient, Outstanding Pro Bono Volunteer award for pro bono commitment, 2010-2014 and 2016, 2018
- Managing Editor, Northwestern Journal of International Human Rights (while in law school)
- Researcher, Concern Worldwide US, Global Poverty Relief Non-Profit, 2006
- Guardian ad Litem Child Advocate, 2001-2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States
- Illinois~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D. cum laude) (2009)
- King's College London, UK (M.A. Merit) (2006)
- Wake Forest University (B.A. magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) (2004)