Michael Olesnicky is an Of Counsel in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Tax Practice Group. Michael served as the Asia Pacific Chair of the Tax Practice from 2000 to 2014, and was a member of the Global Tax Steering Committee. He has more than 25 years' experience advising on corporate tax, wealth management, trust planning and estate succession matters.
Michael's practice focuses on Hong Kong and Asian regional tax advisory work, tax disputes and litigation, as well as wealth management and estate planning.
- Leading Lawyer (Estate Planning) - CityWealth Leaders List (2018)
- Tax Controversy Leader (Hong Kong) - International Tax Review, Tax Controversy Leaders Guide (2013, 2014, 2018)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chairman - the Joint Liaison Committee on Taxation, a quasi-governmental committee which interfaces between tax practitioners and the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department (1986 - 2020)
- Executive Committee member - International Fiscal Association Hong Kong
- Branch Chair - Society of Trusts & Estates Practitioners (STEP) in Hong Kong
- Member (former chairman) - Inland Revenue Department's Users' Committee
- Member - International Tax Planning Association
- Member - Board of Editors of Asia-Pacific Tax Bulletin (IBFD)
- Member - Advisory Board to Asia-Pacific Tax Journal
- Former chairman - Tax Committee of The Australian Chamber of Commerce
- Honorary Lecturer in tax law - Hong Kong University's Department of Professional Legal Education
- Member - Hong Kong Inland Revenue Board of Review (1985-1994)
- University of Adelaide (LL.B.) (1976)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (1979)
- University of Adelaide (B.A.) (1977)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.