Michael Olesnicky is a senior consultant based in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office. Michael had served as the Asia Pacific Chair of the Tax Practice from 2000 to 2014, and was a member of the Global Tax Steering Committee. He has more than 25 years’ experience advising on corporate tax, wealth management, trust planning and estate succession matters.
Mr. Olesnicky’s practice focuses on Hong Kong and Asian regional tax advisory work, tax disputes and litigation, as well as wealth management and estate planning.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chairman of the Joint Liaison Committee on Taxation, which is a quasi-governmental committee which interfaces between tax practitioners and the Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department (1986 to now)
- Executive Committee member, International Fiscal Association Hong Kong
- Branch Chair, Society of Trusts & Estates Practitioners (STEP) in Hong Kong
- Member (and former chairman), Inland Revenue Department's Users’ Committee.
- Member, International Tax Planning Association
- Member, Board of Editors of Asia-Pacific Tax Bulletin (IBFD)
- Member, Advisory Board to Asia-Pacific Tax Journal
- Former chairman, Tax Committee of The Australian Chamber of Commerce
- Honorary Lecturer in tax law, Hong Kong University’s Department of Professional Legal Education
- Member, Hong Kong Inland Revenue Board of Review (1985-1994)
- University of Adelaide (LL.B., B.A.) (1976)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (1979)