Ihor Olekhov heads Baker McKenzie's Regulatory and Financial Institutions groups in Kyiv. He advises on finance, banking and investment projects as well as corporate governance and tax matters, and has outstanding experience in structuring and documenting complex international transactions.
Mr. Olekhov has made significant contributions to developing banking and financial services regulations in Ukraine. He also helps develop new practices for the Firm's Kyiv office, such as international trade, WTO law and corporate compliance.
In addition to being a member of several Ukrainian law associations, Mr. Olekhov co-chairs the Banking and Finance Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce.
Mr. Olekhov has advised clients on a broad range of corporate finance and M&A transactions, including landmark bank mergers in Ukraine and the first management buyout in the banking sector. He also handles a number of debt restructuring and insolvency projects, including the purchase of insolvent banks from the Deposit Guarantee Fund, and the acquisition of assets of insolvent banks.
Mr. Olekhov counsels on various aspects of asset management, including structuring, compliance, tax planning, wealth management and capital allocation for corporate and individual clients. He also advises on aircraft leases and other aircraft finance transactions involving Ukraine and other jurisdictions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Autonomy Capital on the process and regulatory approvals for acquiring a bridge bank to be established by the Deposit Guarantee Fund based on the assets of Kyivska Rus Bank.
- Advising Thomson Reuters on the Ukraine section of the Report on the Preparedness for Emissions Trading in the EBRD Region. The project includes two phases: conceptual analysis and overview of emissions trading systems globally and in the EBRD region, and parallel country-specific assignments.
- Advised the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, KfW Development Bank and the International Finance Corporation in connection with the UAH43.2 million additional capitalization of Megabank.
- Advised Siemens Ukraine on its joint venture with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in the metals technologies business. The implementation involved the carve-out of the metals business of Siemens Ukraine into a new Ukrainian limited liability company.
- Advised European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in connection with a USD130 million syndicated facility for Nibulon, Ukraine’s leading grain trader.
- Advised Eurobank Ergasias SA in connection with the disposal of its Ukrainian subsidiary and the transfer of certain Ukrainian assets.
- Acted as legal counsel to Erste Group Bank on the sale of Erste Bank, the subsidiary of Erste Group in Ukraine, to the Fidobank Group.
- Advised TBIF Financial Services BV on a capital increase of VAB Bank, a significant Ukrainian bank, and the subsequent sale of a majority stake in the companies of the VAB Group to strategic investors.
- Represented BNP Paribas in its capital increase in Ukrsibbank, one of Ukraine's largest commercial banks, resulting in an increase of the majority shareholding of BNP Paribas in Ukrsibbank.
- Acted as legal counsel to a leading global provider of trusted payment solutions on the launch of an electronic money project with one of the largest Ukrainian commercial banks.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Advocates of Ukraine - accredited and certified lecturer on the banking law
- Ukrainian Bar Association - Member, Supervisory Board of the Banking & Insurance Committee
- European Business Association - Former Chairman, Legal Committee
- American Chamber of Commerce - Co-Chair, Banking & Finance Committee
- CFA Society - Member
- National Council for Civil Liberties - Member
- Ukraine (1999)
- The College of Law (2011)
- University of Edinburgh (LL.M.) (2002)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (2002)
- Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University (Master's Degree Law) (1999)