Kurt Oldenburg is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie’s San Francisco office and a member of Baker McKenzie’s North American Financial Regulation and Enforcement Practice, which provides our clients with a full range of regulatory advice and enforcement counseling. Kurt offers insightful experience for domestic and international clients navigating complex government and internal investigations, regulatory enforcement actions, and related civil litigation.
Kurt has represented clients in North America, Asia, and Europe in domestic and multijurisdictional matters involving the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), financial regulatory compliance, audit defense, antitrust laws, and U.S. export controls. Kurt is known for his skill and efficiency in conducting internal investigations and, when necessary, navigating criminal and civil inquiries and actions by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and other regulatory agencies. Kurt’s significant experience in all phases of state and federal commercial litigation also position him to assist companies in private litigation resulting from regulatory matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Kurt handled the following matters:
- Conducted internal investigations and navigated SEC inquiries for Big Four accounting firm in connection with public company financial restatements and Securities Exchange Act Section 10A issues.
- Represented Japanese company and chief executive in multijurisdictional investigations of FCPA and financial fraud allegations, and related DOJ investigation.
- Represented audit committee of U.S. tech company in internal investigation of multijurisdictional FCPA, export controls, and financial fraud allegations, and related DOJ and SEC investigations.
- Represented U.S. energy company in internal investigation of multijurisdictional FCPA and export controls allegations, and related DOJ and SEC investigations.
- Represented Fortune 50 tech company in connection with multijurisdictional investigation by DOJ, SEC, and U.K. Serious Fraud Office concerning accounting practices of former executives.
- Represented U.S. tech executive during internal investigations and multijurisdictional investigations by DOJ, SEC, and state agencies involving FCPA, mail and wire fraud, securities laws, and data privacy allegations.
- Represented U.S. executives in price fixing investigations by DOJ.
- Won dismissals and summary judgment of lawsuits and federal MDL petition filed against European manufacturer of FDA-regulated MRI contrast agents.
- Won dismissal of federal RICO, fraud, and contractual claims filed against Japanese manufacturer in dispute arising from solar development project.
- Defended U.S. and European financial institutions in private class actions against trustees of asset-backed securities.
- Represented Japanese executive in high-stakes corporate governance dispute and U.S. shareholder proxy contest
- Represented Big Four accounting firm in connection with civil securities litigation arising from public company financial restatement.
- Counseled U.S. telecommunications company regarding Freedom of Information Act lawsuits seeking disclosure of government surveillance program records.
- National Finalist, 2012 American College of Trial Lawyers Moot Court Competition
- Recipient, Moses Lasky Antitrust Award
- Recipient, Witkin Awards for Academic Excellence in Antitrust, Corporate and White Collar Crime, Federal Jurisdiction, Legal History
- California~United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States
- University of California, Davis School of Law (JD Order of the coif) (2012)
- University of California, Davis (BA Managerial Economics) (2007)
Co-Author, Key Aspects of SEC Guidance On Cybersecurity Disclosures, Law360 (February 2018)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.