Mireille Oldak is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Tax Practice Group in the Washington, DC office, where she handles both domestic and international tax law controversies, and dispute resolution.
Mireille represents clients in all stages of tax disputes, from audit and administrative appeals to litigation before the United States Tax Court and other state and federal courts. She has experience in a wide range of international and domestic tax issues, including transfer pricing, transferee liability, subpart F, and economic substance. In addition to her trial experience and motions practice, Mireille has briefed appeals to the Second, Fifth, Ninth, and D.C. Circuits, and the Supreme Court.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented technology company in litigation before the United States Tax Court, obtaining full concession from IRS prior to trial on deductibility of litigation expenses.
- Represented a global technology company in summons enforcement action brought by the IRS.
- Represented multinational companies during IRS examinations and before IRS Appeals, obtaining full concessions on Subpart F issues.
- Tried Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act (TEFRA), period of limitations, and economic substance issues before the United States Tax Court for former partners of BCP Trading & Investments, LLC.
- Tried penalty and economic substance issues before the United States Tax Court for a high net worth individual resulting in a decision exonerating the client for USD 16 million in penalty liability.
- Defended former shareholders in transferee liability suit before the United States Tax Court as well as appeals to the Second and Ninth Circuits.
- Represented global media and entertainment company in erroneous refund litigation.
- Represented multinational companies in transfer pricing disputes during IRS examinations and before IRS Appeals.
- Representing an individual in a major securities fraud investigation.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Tax Section
- American Bar Association - Tax Section
- Federal Bar Association - Tax and Federal Litigation Sections
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States (2019)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit~United States (2019)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (2017)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2017)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (2016)
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims~United States (2016)
- District of Columbia~United States (2015)
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States (2015)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (2013)
- New York~United States (2012)
- Cornell Law School (J.D.) (2011)
- New York University (B.A. Comparative Literature cum laude) (2007)
- New York