Nicola Northway is a partner in Baker McKenzie's London office. An experienced competition lawyer, she was named among Global Competition Review's Women in Antitrust in 2017. Before joining the Firm, Nicola was managing director of the global competition team at Barclays Bank, coordinating advice and strategy for all competition matters in 50 jurisdictions.
Nicola was also General Counsel at the UK Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem) for three years, handling enforcement and competition cases against energy companies. At Ofgem Nicola liaised with the UK OFT (now CMA) and with the European Commission in their consideration of all merger cases in the energy sector and the overlap between the competition and regulatory consideration of those cases.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Nicola handled the following:
- Advised on the Competition Commission inquiry into PPI, including the successful appeal to the Competition Appeals Tribunal.
- Advised on the CMA investigation into retail and corporate banking in the UK.
- Advised on the FCA market studies into wholesale banking.
- Managed the proposed acquisition of ABN Amro, BGI Disposal to Blackrock and the acquisition of Lehman’s Broker Dealer and core business disposals.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- In-house Competition Lawyers Association (ICLA) - Founder Member
- CBI Competition Panel - Active Participant
- England & Wales (Solicitor)~United Kingdom (1999)
- England & Wales (Barrister)~United Kingdom (1989)
- University College London (LL.M. European Law) (1993)
- Inns of Court School of Law (Bar Exam) (1989)
- Trent Polytechnic (LL.B. Honours) (1988)