Named among Global Competition Review's "Top Women in Antitrust" 2017, Nicola Northway is a partner at Baker McKenzie in London. Nicola is a highly experienced lawyer, with particular focus on competition/antitrust, governance and risk management for large organisations. Throughout her career she has worked in-house, in private practice and for regulators and so has an in-depth understanding of the regulatory agencies as well as the commercial objectives and challenges for multinationals. As well as having advised on complex global and national investigations in the financial and other sectors, Nicola has extensive merger control experience.
Before joining Baker McKenzie, Nicola spent more than 12 years in Barclays Bank in London where she was Managing Director of the global competition team, coordinating advice and strategy for all competition matters in 50 jurisdictions. Nicola was formerly the General Counsel of Ofgem, the Energy Regulator in GB, for almost four years, where she was the adviser to the Board of the regulator and ran a legal team that handled day to day governance and advice, regulatory enforcement and competition cases against energy companies, environmental permit trading and defence of litigation including Judicial Review proceedings.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Nicola handled the following:
- Advised on the Competition Commission inquiry into PPI, including the successful appeal to the Competition Appeals Tribunal.
- Advised on the CMA investigation into retail and corporate banking in the UK.
- Advised on the FCA market studies into wholesale banking.
- Managed the proposed acquisition of ABN Amro, BGI Disposal to Blackrock and the acquisition of Lehman’s Broker Dealer and core business disposals.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- In-house Competition Lawyers Association (ICLA) - Founder Member
- CBI Competition Panel - Active Participant
- England & Wales (Solicitor)~United Kingdom (1999)
- England & Wales (Barrister)~United Kingdom (1989)
- University College London (LL.M. European Law) (1993)
- Inns of Court School of Law (Bar Exam) (1989)
- Trent Polytechnic (LL.B. Honours) (1988)