Hideo Norikoshi has over 20 years experience working on a wide range of cross-border M&A transactions, joint ventures and corporate and corporate finance matters in Europe and Asia. He has advised numerous multinational companies, international investment banks and government organizations on landmark transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, public takeovers, corporate restructurings, private equity, international offerings and listing, structured finance and project finance. Mr. Norikoshi spent 10 years in the Japanese civil service from 1980 to 1990 before qualifying as a solicitor. In Japan, he is listed as a leading international lawyer for Corporate/M&A by Chambers Asia-Pacific in 2011-2016.
Mr. Norikoshi's main area of practice is Corporate/M&A. He is experienced in cross-border M&A (both public and private), joint ventures. He has advised on transactions in numerous jurisdictions including the UK, Germany, France, Austria, China, Singapore, Thailand, Brazil, the US and Japan.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for Dentsu on its public takeover of Aegis Group in the UK.
In his former capacity as a partner at Linklaters, he was involved in a number of notable transactions:
- Acted for Vodafone as co-lead partner in its dual takeovers in Japan (to make its businesses wholly owned subsidiaries), group reorganisations to create a holding company and fixed line and mobile subsidiaries, and non-core disposals.
- Acted for a US private equity house as lead partner in its acquisition of a distressed business in Japan.
- Acted for Temasek as lead partner in its acquisition of minority interests in Mitsui Life, a Japanese insurance business.
- Acted for Temasek as lead partner in its acquisition of minority interests in e-mobile, a TMT business in Japan.
- Acted for Temasek as lead partner in its disposal of majority interests in a Japanese investment management business.
- Acted for Shionogi Pharma as lead partner in its auction sale of a medical capsule business in Japan to a PE purchaser.
- Acted for Shionogi Pharma as lead partner in its auction sale of a toll in manufacturing business in Japan.
- Acted for Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance as lead partner in its buyout of MetLife in their Japan life assurance joint venture.
- Acted for a European pharmaceutical company as lead partner in its proposed disposal of a medical food business.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-Ni Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Japan (Attorney at Foreign Law)~Japan (1999)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1994)
- University of Oxford (1983)
- University of Tokyo (1980)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.