Michael leads our transfer pricing practice in Singapore, where he has been based for the last nine years.
Michael is a seasoned transfer pricing economics and tax practitioner and has advised multinationals across various industries throughout the planning, compliance and audit cycle.
Michael's practice focuses on projects requiring advice on sophisticated and complicated transfer pricing matters, particularly with large-scale multinational corporations. He supports his clients on complex multi-jurisdictional transfer pricing planning strategies, regional and global transfer pricing compliance, intellectual property valuation, advance pricing agreements and highly complex and sophisticated transfer pricing disputes.
Michael is also in the leadership group of the transfer pricing team for the region and routinely engaged in policy discussions with IRAS and other government institutions in Singapore relating to transfer pricing matters and intellectual property valuation matters. Michael is also a regular trainer and speaker at events worldwide.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a global Fortune 500 information technology company on the defense of its transfer pricing remuneration model across multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised a major European multinational in the toy manufacturing industry involved in a significant restructuring and expansion of business operations in Asia.
- Advised a major consumer retail multinational in determining how to structure its business operations relating to a newly acquired franchise.
- Assisted a major beverages multinational seeking to globalize the preparation of its transfer pricing documentation and to streamline its process in doing so.
- Advised a leading Singaporean multinational corporation on evaluating an e-commerce joint venture on the valuation of the business opportunity, the respective contributions of the parties, undertaking scenario planning, and providing advice in possible legal and tax structuring.
- Advised a leading US multinational corporation on designing a cash pooling and treasury center remuneration model that is acceptable across client teams and countries, and documenting it to a common standard globally.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- University of London - Alumni
- Singapore Tax Academy - Trainer
- Chartered Institute of Taxation UK - Member
- Society of Financial Advisors UK - Member
- Association of Tax Technicians UK - Member
- University of London (Master of Science Economics Distinction)
- Nottingham Trent University (Bachelor of Arts Economics)
- Advanced Financial Planning Certification
- Chartered Tax Advisor