Michael Nixon is an economist with 16 years’ experience in transfer pricing consulting and academia. His experience includes transfer pricing and business restructuring projects in the UK, Germany, the Netherlands and Singapore, where he has been based for the last six years. He is a member of the Singapore Transfer Pricing consultation group with the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore (IRAS), and has undertaken training for the IRAS Tax Academy. He also consults with Singapore academic institutions on transfer pricing and business restructuring matters.
Michael is a seasoned transfer pricing economics and tax law practitioner. He has advised multinationals across various industries throughout the planning, compliance and audit cycle. His practice is focused on transfer pricing controversy, intellectual property valuations and business restructuring. Examples include the evaluation, negotiation and conclusion of bilateral and unilateral APAs; the evaluation and management of audit strategy and defense; and the planning and management of business restructuring projects from initial feasibility to full implementation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a global Fortune 500 information technology company on the defense of its transfer pricing remuneration model across multiple jurisdictions.
- Advised a major European multinational in the toy manufacturing industry involved in a significant restructuring and expansion of business operations in Asia.
- Advised a major consumer retail multinational in determining how to structure its business operations relating to a newly acquired franchise.
- Assisted a major beverages multinational seeking to globalize the preparation of its transfer pricing documentation and to streamline its process in doing so.
- Advised a leading Singaporean multinational corporation on evaluating an e-commerce joint venture on the valuation of the business opportunity, the respective contributions of the parties, undertaking scenario planning, and providing advice in possible legal and tax structuring.
- Advised a leading US multinational corporation on designing a cash pooling and treasury center remuneration model that is acceptable across client teams and countries, and documenting it to a common standard globally.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Transfer Pricing Round Table (IRAS) - Member
- University of London - Alumni
- Singapore Tax Academy - Trainer
- Chartered Institute of Taxation UK - Member
- Society of Financial Advisors UK - Member
- Association of Tax Technicians UK - Member
- University of London (Master of Science Economics Distinction)
- Nottingham Trent University (Bachelor of Arts Economics)
- Advanced Financial Planning Certification
- Chartered Tax Advisor