Kengo Nishigaki joined Baker McKenzie in 2000. From 2004 to 2005, he worked at the Firm's Chicago office, where he assisted a major manufacturer of defense-related products with matters involving compliance with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Kengo regularly lectures on issues related to fraud investigations and the US FCPA. He is admitted to practice in Japan and New York.
Representative Legal Matters
- Served as a member of the third party committee that investigated Japan Transportation Consultants — one of the largest consulting and engineering companies in Japan — regarding its suspected bribery of foreign officials in Vietnam, Indonesia and Uzbekistan, leading to the arrest of four foreign officials in Vietnam and an investigation in Indonesia.
- Assisted major listed Japanese companies with the establishment and implementation of their anti-corruption policies (in the pharmaceutical, medical device, trading, printing, automotive and chemical industries).
- Assisted major US medical device and pharmaceutical companies regarding compliance with the Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices Act of Japan.
- Conducted nationwide anti-corruption seminars for American Medical Device and Diagnostics — an industry organization of American medical device and diagnostics companies in Japan — in 2012 and 2013.
- Conducted an anti-corruption analysis for one of the largest US defense companies in connection with its relationship with a Japanese trading company.
- Conducted fraud investigations as a member of an independent committee appointed by a Japan-listed company.
- Conducted fraud investigations and represented a major IT-related company in a lawsuit.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2005)
- Japan (2000)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M.) (2004)
- University of Tokyo (LL.B.) (1998)
Chief editor and co-author, Anti-Corruption Practice for Companies Doing Business Abroad, Chuokeizai-sha, May 20, 2013, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "Resource Guide: How to Respond to the FCPA," Business Law Journal, Lexis Nexis, March 2013
Co-author, "UK Bribery Act," Business Law Journal, LexisNexis, August 2011
Co-author, "Responses to Risks Arising from the UK Bribery Act 2010," Junkan Keirijouhou, Chuokeizai-sha, April 2011
Co-author and editor, Legal and tax practices on conducting business in Asia - from business start-up to expansion and withdrawal, Chuokeizai-sha, August 2011, Language: Japanese