Dr. Rembert Niebel is head of the Germany Intellectual Property Practice Group. He is listed as a frequently recommended lawyer in the area of trademark law in JUVE Handbook of Law. According to Chambers Europe, "Market observers appreciate his in-depth trademark expertise, which includes registration, counseling and infringement proceedings."
Dr. Rembert Niebel focuses his practice on contentious and non-contentious trademark law, particularly on combating product piracy, global re-brandings of multinational companies, transnational trademark prosecution, strategic trademark counseling and trademark licensing. He also has extensive litigation experience in the areas of trade secret protection, registered designs and unfair competition law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Counseling and representing a leading games and toy manufacturer and a leading IT and consumer electronics company in all IP matters including licensing and anti-product piracy work.
- Advised on numerous major global re-branding projects, including for two world leaders in the consulting field, a major multinational advertising agency as well as a German multinational energy and a German multinational chemicals business.
- Successfully assisted numerous major multinational companies in recovering their domain names.
- Advised a major multinational consumer goods company and a major German publishing house on antitrust issues in trademark licensing agreements.
- Managing Intellectual Property IP STARS 2019/20
- WIPR Leaders, 2018 - 2019/20
- Best Lawyers in Germany 2019 for industrial property rights, Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers, 2019
- Frequently recommended, Juve Handbook, 2018/2019
- Acritas Star, Acritas Sharplegal 2018/2019
- Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Unfair Competition – Germany, Chambers Europe 2019
- Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Unfair Competition – Germany, Chambers Global Guide 2019
- The world's leading trademark professionals, WTR 1000 2018
- Trade Mark 2018, Expert Guides 12th edition, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Frankfurt ("Frankfurter Juristische Gesellschaft e.V.") - Director
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property & Copyright (GRUR) - Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member
- Germany (1997)
- University of Jena (Dr. iur.) (1996)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (1994)
- University of Augsburg (Referendar Exam) (1993)
Co-author, Handbuch der Markenpraxis, Karl-Heinz Fezer (ed.), covering securitization agreements, licensing agreements, trademarks in mergers and acquisitions, 2nd edition 2011
Co-author, Commentary on IP Law, Büscher/Dittmer/Schiwy (ed.), 3rd edition 2014
Regular speaker on trademark licensing law, including antitrust aspects as well as international trademark management for various conference organizers, including FORUM.