Simon Ni is an experienced lawyer with significant experience in banking and finance, financial services and major projects. He has advised on a broad range of complex cross-border project finance and acquisition finance transactions including in the infrastructure and resources sectors. Simon is also experienced in corporate and real estate finance transactions, as well as providing compliance advice to financial institutions.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Simon worked for a dynamic range of major international financial institutions and law firms across Australia and China (including Bank of China and Zurich Financial Services Australia) which equipped him with unique insights on Sino-Australian deals and valuable experiences in providing advice that is highly practical and commercial. Simon is proficient in written Chinese and spoken Mandarin and Cantonese.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Neoen on the A$750 million+ 100 MW (Stage 1), 100 MW (Stage 2) and 109 MW (Stage 3) of the Hornsdale Wind Farm which is located 15 km from Jamestown, South Australia and will sell energy under a Deed of Entitlement with the ACT Government. The debt financing comprises a long-term senior debt facility from Germany’s KFW Ipex-Bank and France’s Societe Generale, with a smaller portion of junior debt from Investec.
- Advising Neoen on the project finance for the development of Parkes (50MW), Dubbo (24.2MW) and Griffith (25MW) solar projects in New South Wales, Australia. These three projects are the first three of 12 approved grant applications to reach financial close as part of the ARENA grant funding under its large scale solar program.
- Advising Genex (Solar) Pty Ltd, as sponsor in relation to the 50MW Kidston Solar Project located in Far North Queensland near the town of Kidston. The project was financed under project financing facilities provided by Societe General and CEFC.
- Advising a confidential bidder on its proposed acquisition of Pacific Hydro (Australia, Chile and Brazil) from IFM Investors.
- Advising a large Chinese private equity fund in relation to its acquisition of interests in a listed Australian childcare provider.
- Advising Northwest REIT in relation to its acquisition of Generation Healthcare REIT.
- Advising Elanor Investors Group on the establishment of a multi-asset managed fund and the acquisition of the fund assets.
- Advising CPMC Holding Ltd, the packaging unit of China National Cereals, Oils & Foodstuffs Import and Export Corp (COFCO), on its an initial public offering in Hong Kong.
- Advising Bank of China on the development of a range of banking products including non-cash payment products, treasury products, debt finance transactions and Sino-Australian multi-currency trade finance facilities.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Australia China Business Council - Member
- International Project Finance Association - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (2009)
- University of Sydney (LL.M.) (2016)
- College of Law (Legal Practice) (2009)
- AFMA (Tier 2 Training for Financial Product Advisors) (2009)