Gia Long Nguyen is a special counsel in Baker McKenzie's Ho Chi Minh office. He advises clients on hospitality projects, structured real estate transactions, joint ventures and foreign investments, as well as the real estate and corporate aspects of mergers and acquisitions. A real estate lawyer with more than 15 years' experience as both in-house and outside counsel, Long has worked on a number of cross-border projects in Asia Pacific and has negotiated lots of hotel management agreements for hotels, mixed-use developments, branded residences, and tourism destinations. He contributes articles on real estate matters and hotel management and is a regular speaker and panelist at industry events.
Long advises developers on the application process, land acquisition, construction, pre-sales, and liquidation aspects of structured real estate. He acts for both sellers and buyers in conducting due diligence, drafting and negotiating sale and purchase agreements, establishing complex structures, and completing transactions. He has acted for both property owners and tenants in a variety of property leases, including commercial, residential, mixed-use, and industrial properties. He has experience reviewing and advising numerous property leases in the central business districts of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, as well as major industrial properties located around the satellite cities of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Nomura Real Estate on a number of share acquisition investments into commercial building projects, including Sunwah Tower and ZenPlaza.
- Advised on the development and sale programs of the Grand Ho Tram Strip, a USD 4 billion integrated casino and resort project in Ba Ria Vung Tau.
- Assisted in the sale of interest in a USD 4 billion casino development project in Hoi An, Quang Nam province. The transaction involved three jurisdictions: British Virgin Islands, Singapore, and Vietnam.
- Assisted in the sale and disposition of three iconic hospitality properties in Vietnam: Six-senses Con Dao, the Nam Hai, and the Indochina Riverside Towers, which involved three jurisdictions: British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, and Vietnam.
- Advised on the sale and purchase of major real estate assets/projects in Vietnam such as Dai Phuoc Lotus Island
- Advised on the purchase of stakes in the Saigon Centre mixed-use project located at the corner of Le Loi, Pasteur and Huynh Thuc Khang streets, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advised Tuyet Lien Son Ltd., Co on its hotel management project with IHG Hotels and Resorts.
- Advised Viglacera Land on its hotel management project in Quan Lan island; also advised Viglacera Land on the review of a sale documentation for a few of its other industrial zones and township projects in the north of Vietnam.
- Advised the Mandarin Oriental on the signing of its first hotel management agreement in Vietnam with Union Square Company Limited (property owner).
- Acted for Crest Leathers International in the industrial asset distress transaction in Binh Duong province.
- Vietnam (2009)
- TLBU Graduate School of Law (LLM) (2007)
- Hanoi University of Law, Vietnam (LLB) (2005)
- Panelist, Amcham and Auscham legal forums
- Speaker, Hong Kong Business Association Vietnam seminar
- Speaker, joint seminar with Jones Lang LaSalle and Savills, (Oct 2019 – Apr 2020)