Clement Ngai is a partner of the IP Group in the Shanghai office. His practice focuses on pharmaceutical/regulatory issues and technology transactions in China. He is also experienced in handling IP litigation involving technology such as patent and trade secret cases. He advises extensively on IP issues relating to R&D centers in China, particularly for clients in the chemical and materials science industries, and assists in IP due diligence, licensing, clinical trial agreements, product liability and recalls and technology transfers in China.
Representative Legal Matters
Advising pharmaceutical and healthcare clients on issues relating to clinical trials, manufacturing, licensing, joint development projects, contract research, registration and renewal of pharmaceutical and medical device products in China.
Representing major US chemical manufacturer and IT company in a patent litigation lawsuits in China.
Representing US pharmaceutical client in trade secret infringement lawsuit (the case was subsequently selected as top 10 IP cases by Supreme People's Court in China
Advising French nutrition client on IP and technology issues in a divestment of China assets transaction
Advising US technology company in a MOU with a Chinese Provincial government to develop photovoltaic industry.
Representing a European multinational industrial enzyme producer in the development of a second generation fuel ethanol technology project with a petrochemical firm in China.
Advising multinational clients on IP protection strategies in China R&D centres.
Advising a US Biotech equipment manufacturer on IP strategy for its R&D center in Shanghai.
Advising a US Biotech company on joint development and pharmaceutical outsourcing issues in China.
Advising on R&D IP matters and invention disclosures in China.
- Lawyer Star, Acritas, 2021
- Leading Individual: Litigation (China), IAM Patent 1000, 2021
- Leading Individual (Intellectual Property (International Firms): China), The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2021
- Leading Individual (Healthcare and life sciences(International Firms): China) - The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2018-2021
- Leading Lawyer (Life Sciences (International Firms): China/Hong Kong), Chambers Asia Pacific, 2012-2021
- Recommended Litigation Lawyer (China: Foreign Firms), IAM Patent 1000, 2018, 2019, 2021
- Patent Star (China), Managing Intellectual Property: IP Stars, 2018-2019
- Hong Kong (1997)
- The University of Hong Kong (P.C.LL.) (1994)
- University of London (LL.B.) (1993)
- Chinese University of Hong Kong (M.Phil Biochemistry) (1992)
- The University of Hong Kong (B.Sc. Biology) (1989)