Jonathan Newton heads the corporate section of the Firm's Houston office. Mr. Newton practices in the area of corporate law where he represents clients in a broad range of transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, Securities and Exchange Commission reporting obligations and corporate governance issues. He also handles internal corporate reorganizations, venture capital financings, joint ventures and other general corporate law matters.
In addition to his law practice, Mr. Newton served for 10 years as commissioner on the Finance Commission of Texas, which oversees banks, savings and loan institutions and consumer credit matters. Mr. Newton speaks Spanish fluently.
Mr. Newton spends a significant portion of his practice on energy-related transactions. He has extensive experience in complex cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions, including in the area of stock and asset acquisitions and dispositions, mergers and redomestication transactions.
Mr. Newton also represents clients in a variety of registered and private offerings of debt and equity securities, including convertible and straight debt offerings, secondary and follow-on equity offerings and Rule 144A and Regulation S offerings, as well as tender offers, exchange offers and consent solicitations.
While his emphasis is on energy-related matters, Mr. Newton’s representation of clients encompasses companies and transactions in a variety of industries and includes the representation of both domestic and foreign issuers.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an NYSE-listed company in its USD 294 million acquisition of a domestic oil and gas services and technology company.
- Represented an NYSE-listed company in its EUR 690 million acquisition of a Spanish company with multijurisdictional operations.
- Represented an NYSE-listed company in its complex cross-border disposition of assets in exchange for a venture-style equity investment in the purchaser.
- Represented an NYSE-listed company in its acquisition of a domestic energy technology company.
- Represented an NYSE-listed company in its redomestication from Delaware to the UK (valued at USD 4.29 billion).
- Represented an NYSE-listed company in its USD 1.3 billion registered offering of senior notes.
- Represented an NYSE-listed company in its concurrent USD 1.4 billion registered offering of senior notes and USD 700 million tender offer for senior notes.
- Represented an NYSE-listed company in its USD 490 million acquisition of a Russian oil field services company.
- Represented a dual listed TSX and NYSE Amex company in its successful fight against a hostile takeover bid.
- Represented an ASX-listed company in its AUD 350 million acquisition of a US private company.
- BTI Consulting Group Client Service All-Star, 2018
- Recognized, Best Lawyers , 2016 - 2018
- Notable Practitioner, Chambers USA, 2015 - 2017
- Listed, Houston Business Journal's List of Who's Who in Energy, 2014
- Previously recognized, Top Lawyers: H Texas Magazine and The Rising Star edition of Texas Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Foundation
- Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals
- Texas~United States (1993)
- University of Texas at Austin (J.D.) (1993)
- Cornell University (B.A. cum laude) (1990)