Scott Nelson is a member of Baker McKenzie's Private Equity Practice Group based in Johannesburg and London. Scott has been recommended as a leading lawyer for Corporate and Commercial in Africa by Chambers Global: Africa-wide from 2012 to date.
Scott practices in cross-border and corporate transactions, representing many of the international Africa-focused private equity funds and sponsors. He is responsible for driving forward the Firm's Pan-African Private Equity offering, playing a key role advising Africa-focused funds.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented Helios Investment Partners and Vitol Group, in connection with their leveraged acquisition of the entire downstream/retail assets of a multinational oil and gas company in 22 jurisdictions across Africa.
- Represented Helios Investment Partners, RMB Corvest and TRG, in connection with their acquisition of Africa's largest outdoor advertising business, operating in 18 jurisdictions across Africa, Continental Outdoor Media, and its subsequent full exit by means of a trade sale to publicly quoted JC Decaux of France.
- Represented Helios Investment Partners in connection with their acquisition of a controlling equity stake in Bayport Management Limited — a financial services business operating in nine jurisdictions across Africa — and in connection with the implementation of new equity terms necessitated by a strategic investment by the PIC.
- Represented Vitol SA in connection with their acquisition of an equity interest in the Maputo Coal Terminal from Grindrod, and the establishment of associated coal trading arrangements.
- Represented Nedbank in connection with its convertible loan to Togo-based Ecobank (ETI) in support of ETI's acquisition of Nigeria's Oceanic Bank.
- Represented Investec Asset Management and FMO in connection with their co-investment, alongside Carlyle, into J&J Africa.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2000)
- Scotland~United Kingdom (1997)
- University of Edinburgh (Post Graduate Diploma Legal Practice) (2005)
- University of Edinburgh (Bachelor of Law) (2004)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.