Javier has been practicing law for more than 30 years. He has significant experience in national and international arbitration, bankruptcy, insolvency and reorganization proceedings, as well as in civil, commercial and criminal litigation. He has been acknowledged by Chambers & Partners Global and Chambers Latin America as one of the leading dispute resolution and litigation lawyers from 2009 to 2018 yearbooks. PLC Which Lawyer? ranks him among the recommended lawyers in his area of practice in its 2009 to 2011 editions. Javier was awarded the prestigious Doctor Honoris Causa in Law title by the Universidad Cervantina for his academic, juridical and social work. He currently coordinates the Firm’s Dispute Resolution practice for Mexico, and is the Former Coordinator of the Firm's Dispute Resolution & Arbitration practice in Latin America
Javier is seasoned in national and international arbitration, and has extensive experience working on various commercial matters. He has been appointed by the Mexican government (IFECOM) as a professional in bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings under the Commercial Proceedings Law, and has served as an expert witness in several trials in the United States.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing real estate developers and credit and corporate institutions in loan agreements secured with specific guarantees.
- Representing national and international companies in commercial proceedings involving debt collection through international agreements.
- Representing state-owned companies.
- Representing national and foreign banking and finance institutions.
- Representing several national and international companies in insolvency and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Advising national and international companies on matters involving product defects.
- Representing credit institutions and brokerage firms in suits filed against them.
- Representing private capital firms in corporate agreement, financing and loan agreements and other cases involving violation of fiduciary provisions.
- Representing national and foreign parties in conventional proceedings under trust or in commercial agreements.
- Advising on agreement interpretation in several matters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Corporate Attorneys (ANADE)
- Mexican Bar Association
- Colegio de Jurisprudencia
- Federal Institute for Bankruptcy Specialists
- American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico A.P.
- US-Mexico Chamber of Commerce
- International Chamber of Commerce of Mexico in Monterrey City - President, Arbitration Committee
- International Chamber of Commerce of Mexico in Mexico City - Counsel member
- Mexico Arbitration Center (CAM) - Ex-counselor
- Employer's Confederation of the Mexican Republic (COPARMEX)
- Mexico (1980)
- Universidad de Salamanca Spain (Post Graduate Diploma Law) (2001)
- Carlos III University (Diploma European Union Law) (1994)
- University Regiomontana (LLM) (1983)
- University Regiomontana (LLB) (1980)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.