Mariko Nakayama is a certified patent and trademark lawyer in Japan and a member of the IP Tech Group at the Firm's Tokyo office. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she worked at a prominent Japanese patent office and law firm. She has been practicing since 2001.
Ms. Nakayama's practice focuses on trademark prosecution, oppositions, invalidating actions, litigation, trademark searches and overseas trademark applications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a multinational consumer goods company in handling their trademark-related matters in Japan, including their Japanese trademark prosecution and clearance as well as managing their Japanese trademark portfolios and consulting.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company with respect to their Japanese trademark prosecution and clearance as well as managing their Japanese trademark portfolios, and applying for the suspension of the import of goods infringing their trademark rights before Japan Customs.
- Represented an international foreign fast food restaurant company in handling their Japanese trademark prosecution and clearance as well as managing their Japanese trademark portfolios and consulting.
- Represented a Japanese beverage and food manufacturer in handling their national trademark prosecution and managing their Japanese trademark portfolios as well as counseling. Assisted in their worldwide trademark prosecution and the management of their global trademark portfolio.
- Assisted a Japanese sporting goods manufacturer with respect to their worldwide trademark prosecution and the management of their global trademark portfolio as well as anti-counterfeiting project abroad.
- Represented a Japanese supplier of optical materials and components in handling their national trademark prosecution and counseling.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Japan Patent Attorneys Association (JPAA) - Member
Foreign Trademark System Committee of Japan Trademark Association (JP-TA) - Member
International Trademark Association (INTA) - Member
- Japan (Patent and Trademark Attorney qualified as a representative for infringement actions) (2006)
- Japan (Patent Attorney) (2001)
- Waseda University (M.A. Law) (2000)
- Waseda University (B.A. Law) (1997)
Co-author, "Japan introduces non-traditional trade marks," Managing Intellectual Property, May 2015, Language: English
Co-author, "Report Q230: Infringement of trademarks by goods in transit," AIPPI, 2012, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "Report Q218: The requirement of genuine use of trademarks for maintaining protection," AIPPI, 2011, Language: Japanese
Co-author, "IT Intellectual Property and Legal Work," Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun, 2004 (1st Edition) and 2008 (2nd Edition), Language: Japanese