Tomohisa Muranushi is a member of the Firm's Corporate/M&A Practice Group in Tokyo and has eighteen years of legal experience working in Japan. He co-authored M&A Handbook on Conducting Business Practically and the Japan chapter on Cross-border Labour and Employee Benefits Handbook. Tomohisa has also worked at the San Francisco and Bangkok offices of Baker McKenzie.
Tomohisa has extensive experience on any matters relating to labor/employment laws including designing terms and conditions of employment, reduction in force, and labor disputes. Also, he has been involved in many mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence, structuring, documents drafting, negotiation, and integration, especially from employment and labor law perspective. He also handles internal investigation relating to compliance, litigation/disputes resolution and counsels on general corporate/commercial matters including matters relating to company act and regulations, unfair trade regulations and data privacy.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for various clients (both domestic and international) in analyzing, structuring, and preparing documents for reduction in force projects including early retirement and resignation programs.
- Represented various clients (both domestic and international) in labor disputes and litigations (including labor tribunal and disputes with unions).
- Acted for various clients (both domestic and international) in relation to performance management, overtime work management and other employment-related issues.
- Acted for various clients (both domestic and international) in relation to long-term incentive plans and other compensation and benefit schemes for executives and employees.
- Represented various clients (both domestic and international) in due diligence, deal structuring, documents drafting, negotiation and integration in relation to merger and acquisition deals especially from an employment/labor law perspective (including cross-border deals).
- Acted for various clients (both domestic and international) in analyzing, structuring and preparing documents for corporate reorganizations especially from an employment/labor law perspective.
- Represented and acted for various clients (both domestic and international) in a comprehensive internal investigation process in the event of alleged suspicious activities involving officers, directors or employees.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of California - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- California~United States (2009)
- Japan (2003)
- Columbia Law School, United States (LL.M.) (2008)
- Waseda University (Bachelor of Engineering) (2001)
- San Francisco
Author, "Outbound M&A Hot Topics - Transfer of Employees and Long Term Incentive Program," Business Homu, May 2017
Co-author, "Overview and Practical Tips regarding the UK Modern Slavery Act," Keiri Joho, 20 April 2017
Co-author, "Need for Global Compensation Systems and Future Challenges - In Light of Restricted Stocks," Journal of Law and Economy, 2 November 2016
Moderator, Employment Risks in Asian Countries - Focusing on Major Risk Areas, arranged by Baker McKenzie, 27 February 2017
Speaker, Duty of Care and Employment/Labor-related Risks in the Risk Management of Overseas Business (additional session), arranged by Baker McKenzie, 17 January 2017