Catherine Muir is Of Counsel in the Washington, DC office. She practices in the areas of cybersecurity, internal investigations, incident preparedness and response, information governance, and e-discovery. She is a former senior counsel at Sprint Nextel, where she was responsible for information governance and e-discovery policies and strategies and transactional matters for the network engineering group.
Catherine focuses her practice on internal investigations, regulatory investigations, corporate compliance and complex criminal and civil litigation, and advises global corporations in the automotive, technology, financial services, telecommunications, manufacturing and retail industries on information and product security, incident response and crisis management, and supply chain security.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented two of the largest global manufacturers in their respective industries in connection with an FTC non-public inquiry and a civil investigative demand, respectively, related to data security practices and published zero-day source code vulnerabilities. Matters were both successfully resolved with no further action against companies by the FTC.
- Represented a financial industry firm in connection with a non-public inquiry related to a data security incident. Matter was successfully resolved with no action against firm by the FFIEC.
- Represented a financial industry technology firm in connection with a breach of financial firm’s network. Matter was successfully resolved with no further action against firm by the FFIEC.
- Counseled an automotive industry company in areas related to secure app development and various connected car security-related issues, impacting business decisions in fast-evolving and high legal and regulatory risk environment.
- Managed discovery in response to DOJ Criminal Grand Jury Subpoena, DOJ second requests in the transportation and ski resort industries, DOJ civil investigative demand and FCC response in the telecommunications industry, FTC inquiry regarding a significant data breach in the grocery industry, DOJ and SEC investigation in the financial industry.
- Developed and reviewed information governance and security policies, incident response plans, and discovery protocols for several Fortune 500 companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Cyberspace Law Committee of the Science and Technology Law Section
- American Bar Association - Privacy and Information Security Committee of the Antitrust Law Section
- District of Columbia Bar - Ediscovery Committee, Litigation Section
- The Sedona Conference Working Group 1 on Electronic Document Retention and Production - Co-Editor, Structured Data Principles
- The Sedona Conference Working Group 11, Privacy and Data Security
- District of Columbia~United States (2008)
- Vermont Law School (J.D.) (1996)
- Miami University (Ohio) (B.A.) (1988)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.