Representative Legal Matters
- Represented two of the largest global manufacturers in their respective industries in connection with an FTC non-public inquiry and a civil investigative demand, respectively, related to data security practices and published zero-day source code vulnerabilities. Matters were both successfully resolved with no further action against companies by the FTC.
- Represented a financial industry firm in connection with a non-public inquiry related to a data security incident. Matter was successfully resolved with no action against firm by the FFIEC.
- Represented a financial industry technology firm in connection with a breach of financial firm’s network. Matter was successfully resolved with no further action against firm by the FFIEC.
- Counseled an automotive industry company in areas related to secure app development and various connected car security-related issues, impacting business decisions in fast-evolving and high legal and regulatory risk environment.
- Managed discovery in response to DOJ Criminal Grand Jury Subpoena, DOJ second requests in the transportation and ski resort industries, DOJ civil investigative demand and FCC response in the telecommunications industry, FTC inquiry regarding a significant data breach in the grocery industry, DOJ and SEC investigation in the financial industry.
- Developed and reviewed information governance and security policies, incident response plans, and discovery protocols for several Fortune 500 companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Cyberspace Law Committee of the Science and Technology Law Section
- American Bar Association - Privacy and Information Security Committee of the Antitrust Law Section
- District of Columbia Bar - Ediscovery Committee, Litigation Section
- The Sedona Conference Working Group 1 on Electronic Document Retention and Production - Co-Editor, Structured Data Principles
- The Sedona Conference Working Group 11, Privacy and Data Security
- District of Columbia~United States (2008)
- Vermont Law School (J.D.) (1996)
- Miami University (Ohio) (B.A.) (1988)
Moderator, “Emerging Policy Challenges in Automotive Cybersecurity,” IQPC 5th Annual Automotive Cybersecurity Summit, March 2017
Speaker, “Introduction to Information Technology,” The Electronic Discovery Institute, Distance Learning Initiative, recorded November 2016
Panelist, “Records Management, Email and Beyond: Best Practices for Government Law Offices,” ABA Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division, November 2012
Panelist, “Discovery of Databases,” The Masters Conference, October 2011
Co-author (with Michael D. Berman et al. eds.), “Litigation Preparedness Through the EDiscovery Process,” Managing E-Discovery and ESI: From Pre-Litigation Through Trial, 2011