Dr. Dr. Norbert Mückl is a tax partner in the Firm’s Munich office. He joined Baker McKenzie in 2013 from another major international law firm. He is admitted to the German bar and qualified as a German certified tax advisor (Steuerberater). From July 2009 until June 2010, Dr. Dr. Mückl was seconded to the M&A department of a major international investment bank where he advised on tax matters arising in corporate transactions. Dr. Dr. Mückl is a permanent lecturer on tax issues arising in M&A and real estate transactions at the University of Passau. He frequently publishes articles on topical aspects of German and international corporate taxation. Furthermore, he is a co-publisher and author of a new commentary on the German reorganization tax act.
Dr. Dr. Mückl’s practice is broad-based and focuses on corporate taxation, with a strong emphasis on German and multinational corporate restructuring, acquisitions, spin-offs, joint ventures, financing and tax planning. With respect to M&A transactions, Dr. Dr. Mückl provides tax services ranging from due diligence and structuring to post-transaction tax issues. He also advises on tax matters associated with real estate transactions and non-profit organizations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised GFKL Lowell on the acquisition of Tesch Inkasso.
- Advised Allegion on the acquisition of Trelock Group.
- Advised Air Liquide on the sale of Polymer Technology Business.
- Advised Giesecke & Devrient on a joint venture with the Federal Printing Agency.
- Advised Gruner + Jahr on the sale of Munich-based specialist publisher Entertainment Media.
- Advised the initial purchasers Deutsche Bank, Barclays, Bayerische Landesbank and Citigroup on the offering by Schaeffler Finance B.V. of EUR300 million in high-yield bonds.
- Advised REIT-AG on a variety of REIT law, real estate transfer tax and other tax matters on an ongoing basis.
- Advised Dow Chemical in the divestiture of its polypropylene business to Braskem.
- Advised a consortium of 27 banks led by BofA Merrill Lynch, Mediobanca and UniCredit Corporate & Investment Banking as joint global coordinators in connection with the EUR7.5 billion (USD10 billion) rights offering of UniCredit.
- Advised International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC), Abu Dhabi, on a settlement agreement with commercial vehicle and engineering group MAN.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Munich Tax Bar - Member
- International Fiscal Association - Member
- Munich Bar Association - Member
- Germany (2005)
- University of Passau (Dr. iur.) (2006)
- Free State of Bavaria (Assessor Exam) (2004)
- Regional Finance Office (Certified Tax Advisor (Steuerberater)) (2004)
- University of Passau (Dr. rer. pol.) (2002)
- University of Passau (Referendar Exam) (2001)
- University of Passau (Dipl.-Kfm.) (1998)