Oliver qualified as a chartered accountant with Moore Stephens LLP whilst providing tax advisory and compliance services to high net worth individuals, primarily in the Greek shipping industry. Before moving to Baker McKenzie, Oliver worked at PwC LLP, advising individuals in the Private Equity sector on multinational personal tax planning matters.
Oliver is a frequent speaker at external conferences on topics such as taxation of non-UK domiciled individuals, taxation of real estate, and HMRC investigations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Completed successful defence of Entrepreneurs' Relief for a client under HMRC investigation.
- Completed successful defence of a private client's non-UK domicile position under investigation from HMRC.
- Advised on the establishment of a large UK family office and holding structure for an ultra high net worth family becoming UK tax resident.
- Provided cross border tax advice for a family becoming UK tax resident and making a large disposal of US property within a US structure.
- Provided advice in relation to capital gains implications of the carried interest for a Private Equity individual, as well as co-invest and other personal assets held via a non-UK trust structure.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- The Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT)
- Queen Mary, University of London (BSc Economics)