Oscar Morean is a partner in the Firm’s Caracas office where he previously served as a senior associate for five years before starting a local boutique corporate and tax law firm. He has over two decades of experience advising on tax and corporate law matters across Venezuela’s leading industries and most important practice areas, including pharmaceutical and oil and gas verticals, taxation, litigation, capital repatriation, tax treaties interpretation, and wealth and estate planning.
Oscar has extensive experience advising key players, family groups, and multinational corporations engaged in import and export activities. He graduated from the Universidad Catόlica Andrés Bello and holds an LLM in Taxation degree from the Universidad Central de Venezuela and an LLM in International Taxation from the University of Florida. He has also completed an executive program on negotiation at Harvard Business School. Oscar has been invited as a guest speaker at tax conferences in Latin America and has been a law professor in the most prominent law schools in the country.
Representative Legal Matters
- Coordinated along with other partners of the Firm’s Caracas and New York offices a complex inter-company debt extinction matter for a multinational health care company that involved corporate and fiscal planning, determination of fiscal risks, financial planning, evaluation of risks and exchange options, determination of fractionation and deferral options, and determination of corporate and fiscal consequences of the liquidation of companies and similar options, among other aspects of advanced transactions.
- Advised a global packaging company and a leading local paper manufacturer regarding the deductibility of foreign exchange losses and the tax treatment of adjustments of foreign positions according to the exchange rate.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Caracas Bar Association
- Venezuela (1996)
- Harvard Business School (Executive Program in Negotiation) (2011)
- University of Florida (LLM International Taxation) (2006)
- Universidad Central de Venezuela (LLM) (2000)
- Universidad Catolica Andres Bello (JD) (2000)