Luca Montani is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie, Brussels' Antitrust & Competition Practice. He joined the Firm in January 2014 after working in a major US law firm based in Brussels, and at the European Commission Directorate General for Competition (Mergers). Prior to that, he practiced civil litigation in Italy.
Luca advises clients on a wide variety of EU and competition law issues, mostly focusing on merger control and foreign investment reviews, antitrust and ABC compliance, EU cartel investigations, regulatory and verticals. Luca's sector experience includes automotive, aviation, oil and gas, chemical and pharmaceutical industries and financial services.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising and representing Hitachi Ltd on its GBP 11 billion acquisition of the ABB Power Grid business before the European Commission, as well as coordinating the global merger filing strategy in 20+ jurisdictions.
- Jointly advising and representing two oil and gas companies in the establishment of a petrochemicals JV (value of the transaction approx. USD 2 billion) before the European Commission.
- Regularly advises PE firms in relation to acquisitions or divestments, pre- and post-integration planning activities, as well as corporate transaction documents.
- Represents a major global technology company on merger control filings on an ongoing basis.
- Conducted global antitrust and ABC compliance audit in relation to suspected cartel and vertical infringement conducts in the industrial equipment industry.
- Advised and represented Camso on its EUR 1.7 billion acquisition by Michelin.
- Advised Abbott Laboratories on its USD 5.8 billion acquisition of Alere Inc. before the European Commission to secure conditional Phase I clearance in the face of an active complainant and to secure purchaser approval for three divestment businesses subject to an upfront buyer commitment.
- Jointly advised Safran Landing Systems and China Eastern Airline in the establishment of a landing gear MRO JV before the European Commission and the Korean Fair Trade Commission.
- Advised FedEx on foreign investment filings in relation to its EUR 4.4 billion acquisition of TNT Express.
- Advised a major global financial institution with respect to a number of investigations concerning potentially collusive behavior.
- Advised major barbecues manufacturer facing distributor complaint brought to Italian courts (RPM and qualitative criteria).
- Lead associate in the creation and development of the Firm's global merger control platform, GMAP (ranked as "Standout" at the FT Innovative Lawyers Award).
- Extensive experience in creating and delivering competition compliance training, preparing and conducting internal audits and interviews for various clients .
- Co-author, "Working with multiple competition agencies in a merger review," International Investigations and Merger Reviews - A Handbook for Antitrust Counsel, American Bar Association [currently being edited].
- Co-author, "Internal documents and new theories of harm—EU Merger Control 2018," European Competition Law Review, Volume 40, Issue 8, 2019.
- Co-author, "Sports and competition law: An overview of EU and national case law," 2018 Competition Case Law Digest, A Synthesis of EU and National Leading Cases, Concurrences, 2018.
- Co-author, "Exhaustion, essential subject matter and other EU Court judicial tools to update copyright for an online economy," Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, June 2015.
- Co-author, "Serial complainers shown the departure lounge," International Law Office, March 2015.
- Co-author, "The EU Merger Simplification Package: What's new and what are the consequences?" American Bar Association - Antitrust Law, Spring 2014.
- Brussels~Belgium (2014)
- Madrid~Spain (2014)
- University College London (MSc) (2011)
- University of Trento (LL.M., magna cum laude) (2010)
- Universidad de Salamanca Spain (Erasmus exchange program)
- University of Buenos Aires (Dissertation field research)