Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a leading computer company in connection with its USD8.5 billion acquisition of a computer software company.
- Advised Watson Wyatt in connection with its USD3.5 billion merger with Towers Perrin to form Towers Watson & Co.
- Spearheaded a USD3.44 billion corporate reorganization by way of statutory merger of a Russia-based telecommunication operator.
- Advised a leading internet company in connection with its USD3.1 billion acquisition of an online advertising company.
- Advised one of the world's largest suppliers of commodities and raw materials on a series of joint ventures and acquisitions in the Russian oil and gas sector for a total amount of up to USD2.3 billion.
- Advised a Netherlands-based company that provides services relating to the construction and maintenance of maritime infrastructure in connection with its participation in a USD2.1 billion infrastructure project in Russia.
- Represented the owners of an independent Russian gas producer (valued at USD3 billion) in the disposal of a majority stake in it to Gazprom in a complex corporate settlement involving complicated litigation.
- Advised a subsidiary of SNCF (French National Railways) in connection with its EUR1.0 billion acquisition of IBM's internal global logistics operation (the first of its kind logistics deal in the world).
- Represented an investment fund in its USD1.3 billion acquisition, by way of auction, of a Russian company with assets in the oil and gas sector.
- Represented one of the world’s leading manufacturers of consumer and professional electronics in its USD300 million assembly and manufacturing arrangement with a Russian partner (a manufacturing license-based production) and the subsequent restructuring during 2008-2009 crisis.
- Russia (1997)
- Moscow State Institute of International Relations (J.D., High Honors) (1998)
- Moscow State Institute of International Relations (LL.B., High Honors) (1997)
Co-author, "COVID-19 Restrictions do not Automatically Exempt Businesses From Liability," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, April 2020
Author, “Russian Federation” chapter in the Mergers and Acquisitions (part of the “Getting The Deal Through” series), Law Business Research Limited, 2002
Mr. Monin has spoken at a number of conferences and seminars relating to foreign investment into and doing business in Russia.