John Mollard practices in the areas of M&A and direct foreign investment, with a strong focus in the energy, resources and agriculture sectors. John lived and worked in China and Southeast Asia for more than 10 years, including studying Mandarin in Nanjing (南京师范大学) in 1993 and afterwards acting as managing lawyer in Beijing for over 4 years. John is recognised as a leading M&A lawyer for mining by IFLR1000 2018 and Best Lawyers Natural Resources AFR 2018.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Guangdong Rising Assets Management Ltd in relation to its strategic investment in ASX-listed PanAust Ltd, with copper and gold mining operations in Laos and Thailand.
- Advised Trafigura with respect to its strategic investment, financing and offtake with the dual-listed ASX/TSX-listed Tiger Resources Ltd, with an operating copper mine in the DRC.
- Advised ASX/TSX duel listed Mindoro on the joint venture arrangements for the development of the Agata Nickel DSO operations and construction of processing facilities in the Philippines.
- Advised Castlemaine Goldfields on its acquisition of the Ballarat Goldfields Project from Lihr.Advised Syrah Resources on the acquisition and development of the Balama West graphite project in Mozambique.
- Advised WISCO in relation to its proposed investment and finance of Riversdale Mining Ltd and the development of the Zambeze Coking Coal Project in Mozambique.
- Advised Nippon Oil on its A$1 billion acquisition of an interest in the PNG LNG acreage and assets from AGL.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- AMPLA, Resources and Energy Law Association - National Board
- Laws Society of Victoria
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1997)
- Hong Kong (1996)
- Victoria~Australia (1993)
- Nanjing University (Post Graduate Studies Mandarin Chinese) (1993)
- Monash University (Bachelor's Degree Law) (1992)
- Monash University (Bachelor of Economics) (1989)