Sunga Mkwezalamba is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s North America Privacy and Technology practice in Chicago.
Sunga focuses his practice on regulatory and transactional issues in information technology, including cross-border data transfers, data security, data breach notification, global privacy, website privacy policies, behavioral advertising and comprehensive compliance programs. He works with clients in various global industries, such as telecommunications, media, healthcare, transportation, manufacturing and finance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised on data privacy and security risks involved with LVMH’s $3.2 billion acquisition of Belmond Ltd.
- Advised large Fortune Global 500 company on its intra-company data sharing agreement with an Algeria JV, which included advising on issues involving employee health screenings and data security in the jurisdiction.
- Advised on data monetization issues involved in a provider of water, hygiene and energy technologies’ proposed $150m acquisition of 100% of the shares of an education company specializing in the hospitality.
- Prepared report for Tanzanian government on laws involving status offences, and legal identities relevant to street children in Tanzania.
- Advise large online restaurant-reservation service company on ongoing privacy and security risks in various target markets, including Tunisia, Madagascar, Malawi, and Mauritius.
- Assisted large multinational pharmaceutical company with implementation of processes regarding the collection and processing of workplace injury information in various jurisdictions across the globe, including South Africa.
- Advised and lead negotiations regarding data processing or various service providers, including cloud storage, data analytics and monitoring.
- Assisted large multi-national corporations with the development and implementation of their GDPR-compliance program, including one of the world’s largest defense contractors and trade group representing the world's largest software developers, through drafting of intra-group data sharing agreements and data governance policies.
- Advised a large multinational investment bank and financial services corporation, and third largest bank, on its global implementation of its whistleblowing hotline across +100 jurisdictions.
- Advised a large financial services company, and he third largest bank in the US by total assets, in cross-border restrictions on the transfer of customer data to the US from +50 jurisdictions.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Illinois Bar Association - Member
- Just the Beginning Foundation - Associate Board Member
- Co-Founder - Black Men Lawyer's Association
- Illinois~United States (2016)
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D. magna cum laude) (2016)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (B.A.) (2012)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.