Teresa H. Michaud advises on all aspects of dispute resolution, primarily complex business disputes, class actions, intellectual property and international arbitration. She is chair of the California Litigation & Government Enforcement Practice Group and is active in both the Consumer Goods & Retail and Technology, Media & Telecom Global Industry Groups. She is admitted to practice in California, Texas and New York, and qualified in England and Wales. Teresa is also one of the founding members of our Los Angeles office that opened in 2018.
Teresa's practice primarily includes multi-jurisdictional contract and business torts disputes; consumer class actions (statutory claims, federal statutory violations and data privacy and breach actions); intellectual property disputes; trade secret misappropriation; unfair competition; and other statutory and common law claims. She also regularly advises global companies on litigation avoidance practices, including contract provisions, consumer regulatory concerns, privacy and data security practices, advertising and marketing claims and product labels, and intellectual property protection.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained preliminary and permanent injunctions, summary judgment and award of attorneys’ fees in US District Court for the Central District of California, Los Angeles on behalf of an international clothing retailer against its largest former franchisee for violations of non-compete provisions of franchise agreements in five states.
- Defended international airline in two nationwide putative class actions consolidated in San Francisco alleging risk of identify theft and privacy laws from the disclosure of personal identifying information for more than 2,200,000 consumers.
- Defended Taiwanese electronics manufacturer, US subsidiaries and world champion professional gamer in a putative nationwide class action alleging violations of California state law on deceptive and false advertising, fraudulent inducement, California’s Unfair Competition Law and breach of contracts related to the performance of motherboards.
- Acted as second chair in an international arbitration defending one of the world’s largest Asian manufacturers of transportation equipment against exclusive Mexican distributor alleging breach of cross-border distribution and financing agreements, fraud, intentional interference with contractual relations and prospective economic advantage, defamation and slander, and violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law.
- Defended international restaurant and entertainment chain in a nationwide putative class action alleging disclosure of personal identifying information for hundreds of thousands of customers from the point of sale in violation of Section 1681c(g) of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act.
- Defended California subsidiary of the world’s second largest wine company in five putative nationwide class actions alleging violations of the laws
of 29 different states, including consumer protection statutes, false advertising, fraud, and unfair trade practices.
- Defended international designer clothing manufacturer in copyright infringement suit filed in the US District Court for the Central District of California, Los Angeles regarding the design and imagery of garments sold throughout the world.
- Represented a Chinese clothing retailer in international arbitration in Singapore against California trademark owner of surfing brands relating to enforcement of Trademark Licensing Agreement over the use of trademarks throughout the People’s Republic of China.
- Representing developer of the top grossing iOS mobile game in Asia in copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation actions in the
US District Court for the Northern District of California, San Francisco.
- Assisted in the week-long trial in the High Court of London on behalf of international cosmetic and perfume company against international fragrance forger. Resulted in change to UK law regarding trademark of fragrances.
- Top Woman Attorney in California, Super Lawyers, 2017
- Rising Star in Northern California, Super Lawyers, 2016 & 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Northern California
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution - Young & International (ICDR Y&I)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Emerging Issues Subgroup, American Bar Association - Co-chair, Class Action and Derivative Suits Committee
- American Bar Foundation (ABF) - Fellow
- California~United States (2014)
- New York~United States (2013)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2013)
- Texas~United States (2007)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2010)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (2010)
- U.S. District Court, Colorado~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States (2014)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit~United States (2019)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit~United States (2016)
- Southern Methodist University (J.D. cum laude) (2007)
- University of Cincinnati (Master's Degree Architecture) (2003)
- University of Cincinnati (B.S. Architecture magna cum laude) (2001)
- San Francisco
- Co-author, "A Common Thread In California 'Organic' Textile Lawsuits," Law360.com, September 2017
- Co-author, “BNA Insights: U.S. Privacy Redress and Remedies for EU Data Subjects,” Bloomberg BNA, Privacy & Security Law Report, November 2015
- Co-presenter, "Recent Class Action Trends in the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry - What You Need to Know and How to Avoid Class Action Disputes," Insights Into Litigation & Government Enforcement Webinar Series, April 2019
- Co-presenter, "Antitrust and Consumer Protection in the Global Technology Sector," ACC-SFBA International Committee Meeting, April 2019
- Co-presenter, "Sustainability is here to stay – How can Technology help achieve your Goals?" Luxury Law New York Summit, November 2018
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.