Teresa H. Michaud advises on all aspects of dispute resolution, primarily complex business disputes, class actions, intellectual property and international arbitration. She is chair of the California Litigation & Government Enforcement Practice Group and co-chairs the North America Class Action Practice Group, and is active in the Global Consumer Goods and Luxury Fashion Industry Group. She is admitted to practice in California, Texas and New York, and qualified in England and Wales. She is a frequent speaker to the Association of Corporate Counsel and a member of, and frequent presenter to the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Teresa's litigation and arbitration practice primarily includes cross-border contract and business torts disputes, California statutory claims, consumer class actions (state and federal statutory violations and data privacy concerns), intellectual property disputes, trade secret misappropriation, competition, as well as other statutory and common law claims. She also regularly advises international companies in the transportation and food industries, entertainment retailers, software providers, luxury goods companies and fashion companies on consumer-facing website terms and conditions, privacy policies, arbitration clauses, class action waivers, gift card programs and consumer loyalty program terms and conditions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Obtained preliminary and permanent injunctions, summary judgment and award of attorneys’ fees in US District Court for the Central District of California, Los Angeles on behalf of an international clothing retailer against its largest former franchisee for violations of non-compete provisions of franchise agreements in five states.
- Defended international airline in two nationwide putative class actions consolidated in San Francisco alleging risk of identify theft and privacy laws from the disclosure of personal identifying information for more than 2,200,000 consumers.
- Defended Taiwanese electronics manufacturer, US subsidiaries and world champion professional gamer in a putative nationwide class action alleging violations of California state law on deceptive and false advertising, fraudulent inducement, California’s Unfair Competition Law and breach of contracts related to the performance of motherboards.
- Acted as second chair in an international arbitration defending one of the world’s largest Asian manufacturers of transportation equipment against exclusive Mexican distributor alleging breach of cross-border distribution and financing agreements, fraud, intentional interference with contractual relations and prospective economic advantage, defamation and slander, and violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law.
- Defended international restaurant and entertainment chain in a nationwide putative class action alleging disclosure of personal identifying information for hundreds of thousands of customers from the point of sale in violation of Section 1681c(g) of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act.
- Defended California subsidiary of the world’s second largest wine company in five putative nationwide class actions alleging violations of the laws
of 29 different states, including consumer protection statutes, false advertising, fraud, and unfair trade practices.
- Defended international designer clothing manufacturer in copyright infringement suit filed in the US District Court for the Central District of California, Los Angeles regarding the design and imagery of garments sold throughout the world.
- Represented a Chinese clothing retailer in international arbitration in Singapore against California trademark owner of surfing brands relating to enforcement of Trademark Licensing Agreement over the use of trademarks throughout the People’s Republic of China.
- Representing developer of the top grossing iOS mobile game in Asia in copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation actions in the
US District Court for the Northern District of California, San Francisco.
- Assisted in the week-long trial in the High Court of London on behalf of international cosmetic and perfume company against international fragrance forger. Resulted in change to UK law regarding trademark of fragrances.
- Top Woman Attorney in California, Super Lawyers 2017
- Rising Star in Northern California, Super Lawyers 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Class Action and Derivative Suits Committee - Co-chair, Emerging Issues Subgroup
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution - Young & International (ICDR Y&I)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Northern California
- California State Bar Association - Food Law Committee
- French American Chamber of Commerce - Dallas Chapter
- Business Council for the Arts, Leadership Arts Institute, 2011-2012
- Volunteer and Office Coordinator, Habitat for Humanity
- Community Program Director, Academy of American and International Law
- Volunteer and Organizer, Annual Bastille on Bishop to Benefit the Alliance Française of Dallas, July 2010-2011
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States (2014)
- California~United States (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States (2014)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Colorado~United States (2013)
- New York~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (2010)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas~United States (2010)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas~United States (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas~United States (2009)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas~United States (2009)
- Texas~United States (2007)
- Southern Methodist University (J.D. cum laude) (2007)
- University of Cincinnati (Master's Degree Architecture) (2003)
- University of Cincinnati (B.S. Architecture magna cum laude) (2001)
- San Francisco
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.