Ricardo Metke has a broad experience practicing in intellectual property law and unfair competition. He is an arbitrator for the Conciliation and Arbitration Center of the Chamber of Commerce of Bogotá, where he handles IP-related matters. He has been professor since 1994, having taught industrial property in postgraduate commercial law and IP law courses at the Universidad del Rosario (Bogotá), Universidad de Los Andes (Bogotá) and Universidad Católica (Bogotá, Ibagué, Neiva). Mr. Metke is former president of Asociación Colombiana de la Propiedad Industrial ACPI (Colombian Association of Industrial Property) and former director of Revista Colombiana de la Propiedad Industrial (Colombian Magazine for Industrial Property). He was the head of the postgraduate intellectual property program at the Universidad del Rosario.
Mr. Metke focuses his practice on industrial property and unfair competition matters. He advises local and foreign companies on myriad IP matters and assists in the design and implementation of clients’ IP portfolio management. These include handling IP administrative proceedings before competent authorities and representing clients before IP administrative and civil courts. Mr. Metke has served as a consultant on IP and unfair competition for leading local and international companies, and has intervened in litigation proceedings of considerable importance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised pharmaceutical, apparel, foodstuff and lubricants companies on trademark, and unfair competition matters, as well as IP enforcement and anti-piracy programs.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property - Member
- Colombian Association of Industrial Property - Member and Former President
- Inter-American Association of Industrial Property - Member
- World Intellectual Property Organization - Consultant
- Colombia (1976)
- Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario (J.D.) (1975)
- Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario (Post Graduate Degree Commercial Law) (1974)
Baker & McKenzie S.A.S., is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein