TJ Mendoza is a partner and the head of Quisumbing Torres' Banking & Finance Practice Group, Financial Institutions Industry Group and Fintech Focus Group. He is also a member of the Corporate & Commercial Practice Group, with particular focus on public M&A and capital markets transactions. He has extensive experience leading and supervising teams in various local and international special projects involving mergers and acquisitions, acquisition, corporate and project finance transactions for industry leaders in the natural resource, energy and infrastructure sectors.
He is ranked as a Leading Lawyer for Banking and Finance in Chambers Asia Pacific and has been the Philippine partner-in-charge of certain projects recognized and/or awarded by various institutions, such as the IFLR Asia awards 2017 and Asian Legal Business Law awards 2016. More recently, TJ was cited by Asia Business Law Journal as one of the Top 100 lawyers in the Philippines through its inaugural "A-List" of the country's legal professionals.
TJ's practice focuses on banking and finance, capital markets, energy, mining and infrastructure, public and private M&A, and real estate. He advises clients from a wide range of industries, including financial institutions on financial regulations, foreign direct investment regulations, corporate, capital and deal structures, corporate governance, financing and security creation issues and national and local licensing and regulatory issues.
He has also acted as counsel for various issuers and/or underwriters, or other financial advisors of issuers in transactions involving initial public offerings (IPOs) in the Philippines and initial listing on the Philippine Stock Exchange, Inc., and at various times has served as director and corporate secretary for certain listed and unlisted companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advise and assist the Philippine obligors and/or security providers participating in certain acquisition financing arrangements entered into by: (a) a global customer experience specialist, providing customer care, sales, technical support and collections services, (b) a private equity firm equity firm specializing in direct equity investments in growth, buyouts, recapitalizations, and financial restructurings established in its favor for the purpose of, among others, the acquisition of certain assets and operations in the Philippines.
- Assist a Germany-based financial services company that provides banking services to companies, special purpose entities and public sector debtors on the bridge financing and security arrangements established for a multinational energy development company in connection with its Floating LNG Regas Terminal and 200 MW CCGT power plant located in Leyte, Philippines.
- Advise and assist the largest producer of geothermal energy in the Philippines in connection with its delisting from the Philippine Stock Exchange, Inc. (and in relation thereto, in the conduct of a public voluntary delisting tender offer to its public minority shareholders).
- Advise various financial technology and financial services companies on Philippine legal and regulatory matters relating to electronic trading platforms, electronic trading services, money and value transfer services, digital wallet services, virtual currency exchanges and similar matters.
Prior to joining the Firm, TJ worked on these matters:
- Advised and acted as Philippine legal counsel for a subsidiary of one of the largest power companies in the Philippines on the USD 435 million multi-facility financing of its 300-megawatt coal power plant facility in Bataan, Philippines, and its subsequent refinancing by a syndicate of Philippine Banks.
- Advised and acted as Philippine legal counsel for a joint venture between the power generation arm of the Philippines' largest distributor of electric power and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the first Independent Power Producer in Thailand on the PHP 42.15 billion (USD 843 million) multi-facility financing of its 300-megawatt coal power plant facility in Quezon, Philippines.
- Advised and acted as Philippine legal counsel for an international development finance institution, and an organization which provides credit guarantees for local currency denominated bonds issued by investment grade companies on its USD 225 million Green Bond with one of the country's leading renewable power companies.
- Advised and acted as Philippine legal counsel for a consortium of investors led by a division of a global investment company with diversified infrastructure businesses on its acquisition of strategic equity interests in a publicly listed geothermal energy company via a public voluntary tender offer.
- Advised and acted as Philippine legal counsel for a closed equity fund company for infrastructure on its acquisition of controlling stake in two Philippine energy companies each a solar power generation company operating renewable energy facilities under the Philippines’ Renewable Energy Act.
- Advised and acted for the following: (i) the first Philippine integrated death care provider (2016), (ii) a technology solutions company (2014), and (iii) the ultimate parent company of one of the Philippines' largest and diversified corporations (2014), on its initial public offering in the Philippines and initial listing on the Philippine Stock Exchange, Inc. (PSEI).
- Leading Lawyer in Banking & Finance, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2017-2019
- “A-List” of the Top 100 lawyers in the Philippines, Asia Business Law Journal, 2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines
- International Bar Association
- British Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines
- European Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines (ECCP) – Co-chair, Tax and Financial Services Committee
- FinTech Philippines Association (Fintech PH)
- Philippines (2007)
- University of the Philippines (Bachelor of Laws) (2006)
- Ateneo de Manila University (AB Political Science) (2002)
Co-author, "Philippine chapter: Financial and Business Crime," Thomson Reuters: Practical Law, 2018