Paul Melling is an English solicitor and the founding partner of Baker McKenzie’s Moscow office (he is also founding partner of the Firm’s Almaty office). He first joined Baker McKenzie's London office in February 1980, as a member of the Firm's East-West Trade Department, specializing in the COMECON countries of Eastern Europe and particularly the USSR. He took up residence in Moscow in January, 1989 where he remained for over 33 years, moving to Dubai in March 2022 where he is now Of Counsel to the Baker McKenzie Dubai office.
Paul's practice is focused on the healthcare industry in Russia, CIS and other high-risk markets, with particular focus on compliance issues (risk assessment and risk management).
- "Outstanding Contribution to the Development of the Russian Pharmaceuticals Market," AIPM, 2009
- Ranked as Eminent Practitioner in Russia for Life Sciences by Chambers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Ambassador, British Embassy - Honorary Legal Adviser
- Association of International Pharmaceuticals Manufacturers (AIPM) - Honorary Legal Adviser
- Russo-British Chamber of Commerce - Honorary Legal Adviser
- Russo-British Chamber of Commerce - Advisory Council Member
- International Business Leaders Forum's International Advisory Council for Russia - Former Member
- International Business Leaders Forum's International Advisory Council for Russia - Leadership Group Member for "Improving Business Standards in Russia Initiative"
- Registered Foreign Attorney in the Russian Federation~Russia (2004)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1982)
- Oxford University (Worcester College) (Master of Arts) (1982)
- Oxford University (Worcester College) (B.A.) (1978)
Firm Committee Memberships
Paul is the founder of the CIS offices' healthcare industry group and a Steering Committee member of the Firm's Global Healthcare Industry Group, with responsibility for the Firm's global healthcare client intake policy. He also founded and led the compliance practice in the Firm's CIS offices.
Habib Al Mulla & Partners is a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.