Isabella Mejía Sierra is a lawyer from Universidad de los Andes and an associate in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution practice in Bogotá. She joined the Firm in 2019 and advises multinational clients in arbitration and pre-arbitration matters. Additionally, she has led litigation proceedings regarding constitutional actions and has assisted in due diligence processes.
Isabella is also part of the Francesco Galgano Contract Law Research Group at Universidad de los Andes, where she has published articles on contemporary private law, specializing in topics such as the commercial agency. In addition, Isabella led for three consecutive years the team that represented Universidad de los Andes at Harvard University's Model of United Nations.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a multinational company in a post-acquisition arbitration that would cost the company USD 300 million.
- Counseled a multinational company in the shipping industry in an international arbitration related to a joint venture agreement worth USD 30 million.
- Led the defense of a total of 100 actions for the protection of constitutional rights (tutelas) for a health care institution, achieving a favorable result in every case.
- Represented a multinational company in a tutela proceeding against an administrative court ruling, which resulted in the culmination of a nullity and reestablishment of rights proceeding which amounted to COP 100 million.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Francesco Galgano Contract Law Research Group, Universidad de los Andes
- Advised the Indian foundation CGNet Swara on the restrictions imposed by the Colombian government and Colombian law on radio licenses.
- Assisted in the preparation of the amicus curiae brief for the case of Manuela v. El Salvador before the Inter-American Court of Human Rights.
- Advised a local manufacturer of cocoa-based products in the negotiation and execution of distribution contracts.
- Universidad de los Andes (Lawyer) (2020)
- Author, "Tumbando a las constructoras ilegales: protección a la inversión en proyectos inmobiliarios", Semillero de Derecho Contractual Francesco Galgano, May 2019
- Co-author, "Me sale muy caro por el coronavirus: Una mirada práctica a la teoría de la imprevisión", Semillero de Derecho Contractual Francesco Galgano, April 2020
- Organizer, "Blockchain, Smart Contracts, and Arbitration", International Chamber of Commerce, Bogotá D.C., September 2019