Hector Medina joined Baker McKenzie in 2010 and is currently an associate in the Firm's Real Estate & Infrastructure Practice Group. He is also member of the Energy, Mining and Infrastructure industry group of the firm. His experience includes advising clients on the development of projects relating to oil & gas, power, energy efficiency, major infrastructure projects called by Mexican governmental agencies, mining operations, real estate, maritime regulation, agrarian matters and permitting for energy projects.
Hector Medina advises clients to develop major infrastructure projects in the oil & gas, power, petrochemicals, energy efficiency, mining, navigation and maritime commerce sectors, including the engineering, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance activities regarding such projects. He has provided legal advice and assistance in connection with real estate and infrastructure due diligence for several companies, including title search reports, land use and zoning permitting, agrarian advice and other activities related to the development, acquisition, sale or lease of real estate. Due to the nature of his practice, Mr. Medina also has experience in advising clients in public tenders called by the most important Mexican governmental agencies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised and assisted GDF Suez Consultores and Mitsubishi Corporation in connection with the preparation of the bid proposal submitted before CFE for the development, construction, operation and maintenance of a power plant with capacity of 294 MW, and the execution of a power purchase agreement.
- Advised ATCO Group in connection with its entry in the Mexican energy market and its participation in several pipeline tenders called by CFE, as well as with the preparation of the bid proposal submitted before CFE for the award of a natural gas transportation service agreement, including the development, construction, operation and maintenance of a pipeline, as well as the procurement of an open access natural gas transportation permit from the CRE, interconnection agreements with PEMEX and filings before the Mexican Antitrust Commission and other authorities, since the project was awarded in favor of ATCO Group.
- Advised an important Spanish construction company in connection with the possibility to request an adjustment to the maximum tolls authorized under a road concession, derived from the need to rebalance the economic and financial conditions of the project.
- Advised Anadarko Petroleum Corporation in connection with its entry in the Mexican oil & gas upstream sector, as well as its participation in the Round 1 series of public tenders called by the Mexican National Hydrocarbons Commission for the award of hydrocarbons exploration and production contracts, including the preparation of the pre-qualification documents and requirements. Our client was successfully pre-qualified in the first and fourth call for tenders under Round 1. This also includes assistance in the negotiation and execution of JOA's and other related agreements required to conduct E&P activities in Mexico.
- Advised EXMAR in connection with its participation in certain public tender called by CFE to award an open technology natural gas transportation service agreement in the State of Baja California Sur, for certain CFE's power plants located in such State.
- Advise an inmportant Spanish company with its participation in certain tender called by the Government of the State of Baja California for the financing, construction, operation and maintenance of a desalination plant and an aqueduct, under a scheme of public-private partnership (APP).
- Advised Electromagnetic Geoservices ASA (EMGS) in connection with certain maritime regulatory issues to restructure their operations in Mexico. This included advice in connection with the new regulatory framework to conduct hydrocarbons identification and superficial exploration in Mexico.
- Advised T.D. Williamson, Inc. in connection with its operations in Mexico as per the contractual relationship with PEMEX under certain RBI works agreement, including the relationship with subcontractors and preparation, negotiation and execution of several subcontracts.
- Advised Arendal, S. de R.L. de C.V. in connection with the acquisition of certain highly specialized vessel and the maritime regulatory implications to operate such vessel in Mexican waters.
- Advised Gas del Litoral (a join venture between Total and Shell) in connection with (i) the purchase of LNG and (ii) the sale of natural gas to CFE, supplied from the LNG regasification plant located in Altamira, México.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Asociación Nacional de Abogados de Empresa, Colegio de Abogados, A.C. (ANADE) - Member
- Mexico (2012)
- Escuela Libre de Derecho (Diploma - Energy Law) (2016)
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (J.D.) (2012)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.