Dr. Moritz Meckel is a senior associate and one of the few lawyers in Germany who are admitted both as attorney-at-law and patent attorney. He studied physics and law, and obtained a doctorate in physics in 2011. Thereafter, Moritz worked with a reputable patent law firm and clerked with the Frankfurt Higher Regional Court before joining the Firm as an associate in 2015.
His experience covers all stages of both the lifecycle and the enforcement of patents - from the drafting of a patent application to opposition or nullity proceedings, and from the analysis of products to the enforcement of final infringement rulings. Moritz currently focuses on patent litigation and technology-related advice.
Moritz Meckel advises on matters related to complex technologies and has a particular focus on patent and utility model disputes, including infringement, nullity, cancellation and opposition proceedings. His background as an experimental physicist allows him to handle cases involving in-depth technological questions from a wide range of fields, such as optics, materials science, electronics and mechanical engineering. Moritz routinely represents clients before the German infringement courts, the German Federal Patent Court, as well as the German and the European patent office.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defended three patents of a world-leading provider of cinema technology in opposition proceedings with the European Patent Office.
- Enforced the same three patents against a competitor and its German distributor in an infringement lawsuit.
- Represented a Swiss R&D company (patentee) in patent infringement, patent nullity and several execution proceedings proceedings (all instances) against a major manufacturer of building technology.
- Represented a world-leading manufacturer of medical devices in patent nullity proceedings against a non-practicing entity.
- Represented an internationally renowned manufacturer of printer accessories in opposition proceedings involving inkjet printer technology.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Physical Society (DPG) - Member
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property & Copyright (GRUR) - Member
- Association of Intellectual Property Experts (VPP) - Member
- Licensing Executives Society (LES) - Member
- Germany (2015)
- German Patent and Trademark Office (Patent Bar Exam) (2017)
- Higher Regional Court (Oberlandesgericht) Frankfurt am Main (Second State Exam) (2015)
- J. W. Goethe University - Frankfurt (First State Exam) (2012)
- J. W. Goethe University - Frankfurt (PhD Physics) (2011)
- J. W. Goethe University - Frankfurt (MSc Physics) (2006)
Panelist, “Strategies for Managing Cross-Border Patent Disputes with a Focus on Europe and China”, Association of Corporate Counsel San Francisco Bay Area Patent Committee, San Jose and San Francisco, California USA, October 2018.
Co-author (with Johannes Druschel), “LG Düsseldorf - Heizkessel mit Brenner I - Rechnungslegung in elektronischer Form - Urteilsanmerkung”, Mitteilungen der deutschen Patentanwälte 2018, 73.
Co-author (with Dr. Johannes Druschel, Dr. Dr. Jochen Herr, LL.M., Alexander Ritter), "Germany Chapter" in "The Patent Litigation Law Review," Law Business Research Ltd., November 2017.
First author (with co-authors A. Staudte, S. Patchovskii, D.M. Villeneuve, P.B. Corkum, R. Dörner, M. Spanner), “Signatures of the continuum electron phase in molecular strong-field photoelectron holography”, Nature Physics 10, 594 (2014).
First author (with co-authors D. Comtois, D. Zeidler, A. Staudte, D. Pavicic, H. C. Bandulet, H. Pépin, J. C. Kieffer, R. Dörner, D. M. Villeneuve, P. B. Corkum), “Laser-Induced Electron Tunneling and Diffraction”, Science 320, 1478 (2008).