Rowan McKenzie is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Employment Law Group in Hong Kong. He is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer for employment by Chambers Asia Pacific and Legal 500 Asia Pacific. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Mr. McKenzie served as the head of the Asia Employment and Incentives practice at another international law firm based in Hong Kong. Mr. McKenzie has authored numerous articles on Hong Kong employment law and is an editorial board member for LexisNexis Practical Guidance.
Mr. McKenzie has extensive knowledge and experience in all aspects of employment law. He is consistently called upon to provide advice on the challenges of implementing HR strategy, anticipating problems and reducing legal risks in Hong Kong and across the region. His recent work includes advising on employment structures and mobility arrangements as well as policy creation and implementation, confidentiality provisions and restrictive covenants, the implementation of share, option and bonus schemes, discrimination and sexual harassment claims, downsizing and redundancy programs, and conducting employment and incentives related litigation. Mr. McKenzie also has considerable experience in issues arising from share sales and transfers of business covering employment, incentives, pension and immigration issues.
Representative Legal Matters
Mr. McKenzie's recent experience includes:
- Acted for the new employer at all stages of the recruitment process in Cantor Fitzgerald v Boyer (2012).
- Advising numerous companies on mobility arrangements in the region.
- Advised a global trading conglomerate in proceedings commenced by departing senior executives for entitlements under bonus and equity schemes.
- Advising an energy corporation on the suspension, investigation and termination of the CEO for fraud and other serious breaches of policy.
- Assisted a major accounting firm with the strategic and legal issues surrounding headcount reduction initiatives as well as alternatives to redundancy (including leave without pay, partly paid sabbaticals and changing allowances and benefits) in a multiplicity of jurisdictions in Asia Pacific.
- Advised numerous financial institutions and companies with the recruitment of various teams bound by restrictive covenants and fixed term contracts with competitors.
- Hall of Fame (Labour and Employment, Hong Kong) - Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2021)
- Leading Individual (Labour and Employment, Hong Kong) – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014-2020)
- Leading Lawyer (Employment: Hong Kong Law (International Firms): China/Hong Kong) – Chambers Asia (2014-2021)
- Leading Individual (Employment, Hong Kong) – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014)
- Hong Kong (2008)
- New South Wales~Australia (1991)
- University of New South Wales (LL.B.) (1990)
- Australian National University (Bachelor of Arts) (1988)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.