Maura Ann McBreen is a partner in the Firm’s Chicago office and has over 30 years' experience in executive compensation and employee benefits. Maura Ann has been recognized as a leader in her field by Illinois Super Lawyer (2017) and ranked in Chambers USA (2017). Most recently, she was named one of the 2017 most “Influential Women Lawyers in Chicago” by Crain’s Chicago. She was also named Best Lawyers’ 2016 Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law “Lawyer of the Year” for Chicago as well as being listed in Best Lawyers in America for Employment Law Management. She is a former member of the Chicago Office Client Relations Committee and the Firm’s governing Policy Committee. She authors a quarterly column in Corporate Taxation and is a member of its Board of Contributing Editors and Advisors.
Maura Ann focuses on executive compensation and employee benefits, especially with regard to single employer, multi-employer, and multinational benefits. She addresses operational and fiduciary issues as they arise under tax-qualified retirement plans and leads our global pensions practice. She designs deferred compensation and equity-based and incentive compensation plans, advises on issues under Code Sections 162(m), 280G, 409A and 457A and negotiates executive employment agreements. Her experience in handling employee benefits issues in multijurisdictional corporate transactions includes the division of employee benefit liabilities and transfer of plan assets, as well as the negotiation of plan liability provisions in connection with corporate financing agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises management of a global electronics manufacturer with respect to all executive compensation, employee benefits and executive employment matters, both domestic and global.
- Represents several pharmaceutical companies with respect to their executive compensation matters, including negotiation of deal covenants and other matters regarding golden parachute agreements, in connection with major acquisitions and divestitures.
- Represents global companies in connection with the worldwide review of their pension programs and with roll out of worldwide compensation programs designed to mirror US compensation arrangements.
- Band 1 in Labor & Employment: Employee, Chambers USA 2015 - 2017
- Leading Lawyer in Employee Benefits, Illinois Super Lawyer, 2015 - 2017
- “Lawyer of the Year” in Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, The Best Lawyers 2016
- Best Lawyer in Employment Law Management, The Best Lawyers 2016
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Member of the Board of Advisors, The University of St. Mary of the Lake, 2016 - Present
- Member, The Chicago Network, 2010 - Present
- Member, International Women’s Forum, 2011 - Present
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (1992)
- Illinois~United States (1978)
- Harvard Law School (JD) (1978)
- Smith College (AB English cum laude with high honors) (1975)