Matt advises banks, private credit funds, corporate borrowers and financial sponsors on a variety of domestic and cross-border finance transactions, including syndicated and bilateral loans, acquisition financing and restructurings. Matt's experience at Baker McKenzie also includes a seven-month secondment at Marlborough Partners, a leading pan-European debt advisory firm.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Matt was a member of the banking and financial services team at a leading New Zealand law firm.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising APG in relation to the financing arrangements for Glaspoort, the fiber optics JV between APG and KPN.
- Advising Global Ports Holding PLC in relation to its strategic financing arrangements with Sixth Street Partners.
- Advising a syndicate of banks, led by Citibank and J.P. Morgan as coordinators, in relation to a USD1.25 billion multicurrency revolving credit facility provided to VEON Holdings B.V.
- Acting for Bridgepoint Credit and CVC Capital Partners on the refinancing of Macquarie's acquisition of Wavenet.
- Advising a syndicate of banks led by Banco Santander, S.A. in relation to the financing of Naturgy's acquisition of a stake in Medgaz, S.A., the owner of a submarine natural gas pipeline between Algeria and Spain.
- Acting for a syndicate of 17 banks led by Bank of America Merrill Lynch and MUFG Bank, Ltd. in relation to a dual currency USD 565,058,483.06 and GBP 22,783,107.52 term loan facility agreement provided to RMB International (Mauritius) Ltd.
- Acting for a syndicate of 49 banks led by Bank of America Merrill Lynch in relation to a dual currency GBP 606,803,987.51 and USD 350,379,533.99 term loan facilities agreement provided to Yapı ve Kredi Bankası A.Ş., the fourth-largest private bank in Turkey.
- Acting for a syndicate of banks led by Bank of America Merrill Lynch in relation to a dual currency USD 685,000,000 and GBP 128,000,000 multitranche term loan facility agreement provided to Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited, London Branch and a dual currency USD 275,000,000 and GBP 96,000,000 multitranche term loan facility agreement provided to ICBC (London) plc.
- Advising Goldman Sachs European Special Situations Group as lender in respect of a number of private credit transactions.
- Advising Novator Capital, a private alternative investment firm, on certain of its structured financing and investment arrangements.
- New Zealand (2015)
- Victoria University of Wellington (LLB (Hons), BCom) (2015)