Matt advises banks and corporate borrowers on a variety of domestic and cross-border finance transactions, including syndicated and bilateral loans, acquisition financing and restructurings. Matt's experience at Baker McKenzie also includes a seven-month secondment at Marlborough Partners, a pan-European debt advisory firm.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Matt was a member of the Banking and Financial Services team at a leading New Zealand law firm.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for a syndicate of banks led by Banco Santander, S.A. in relation to the financing of Naturgy's acquisition of a stake in Medgaz, S.A., the owner of a submarine natural gas pipeline between Algeria and Spain.
- Acting for a syndicate of 17 banks led by Bank of America Merrill Lynch and MUFG Bank, Ltd. in relation to a dual currency USD 565 million and GBP 22 million term loan facility agreement provided to RMB International (Mauritius) Ltd.
- Acting for a syndicate of 49 banks led by Bank of America Merrill Lynch in relation to a dual currency EUR 607 million and USD 350 million term loan facilities agreement provided to Yapı ve Kredi Bankası A.Ş., the fourth largest private bank in Turkey.
- Acting for a syndicate of banks led by Bank of America Merrill Lynch in relation to a dual currency USD 685 million and GBP 128 million multi-tranche term loan facility agreement provided to Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited, London Branch and a dual currency USD 275 million and GBP 96 million multi-tranche term loan facility agreement provided to ICBC (London) plc.
- Advising Goldman Sachs European Special Situations Group as lender in respect of a number of private credit transactions.
- Advising the lenders to Cabot Financial Limited in connection with its bank and bond financing arrangements.
- Acting for Bain Capital with respect to the financing arrangements for its acquisition of MKM Building Supplies.
- Advising the lenders in connection with the financing of IK Partner’s acquisition of Visolit Finco AS.
- Acting for the New Zealand Treasury in connection with the voluntary administration and solvent liquidation of the state-owned enterprise Solid Energy New Zealand Limited.
- Acting as New Zealand legal advisor to DVB Bank SE Singapore Branch in relation to its USD 27 million facility to finance Grindrod's purchase of the vessel m.t. "Matuku".
- Acting for Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited on the sale and leaseback of four aircraft to an entity that supplies aircraft to the New Zealand Defence Force.
- New Zealand (2015)
- Victoria University of Wellington (LLB (Hons), BCom) (2015)