Kei Matsumoto is a member of the Firm’s IP/IT/EC group in Tokyo. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he worked in the patent litigation division of a major US law firm, where he handled patent litigation involving Japanese companies and other litigation in the US. Mr. Matsumoto also has considerable experience in dispute resolution cases inside and outside the courts as well as corporate/M&A related cases. Mr. Matsumoto is a native Japanese speaker and is fluent in English.
Representative Legal Matters
- Researched the legal systems for protection of trade secrets in 7 countries including Japan and reported the results for "The commissioned project of industry and economy in 2014 (research and study regarding protection of trade secrets)" of the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.
- Worked on patent litigation concerning optical discs and semiconductors in the US where Japanese companies were involved.
- Represented a foreign company in patent infringement litigation and in an action against a patent invalidation trial.
- Represented a client in negotiations with respect to an acquisition of a major hotel by conducting due diligence and drafting contracts.
- Represented and advised a major US IT company (from Japan’s end) with respect to review of contract and its expansion in the Japanese market.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2007)
- Japan (2001)
- Northwestern University School of Law (LL.M.) (2006)
- Tokyo University (LL.B.) (1999)
Publications and Articles
Co-author, “Trade secret protection programs and practices in foreign countries: Discussing viable legal actions in the U.S., Korea, China, Taiwan and Germany,” Business Law Journal, May 2016, Language: Japanese
Author, “Technical information leakage prevention and countermeasures,” Business Homu, Chuokeizai-Sha, September 2012
Co-author, "Cloud Computing and the Law," Kinzai, 2011, Language: Japanese
Presenter, "Private use and indirect infringement - including issues concerning cloud computing," Japan Business Machine and Information System Industries Association (JBMIA), 1 March 2013
Presenter, “Cloud computing and the law - a focus on IP and surrounding issues,” LES Japan, 27 September 2012