Cristina Matiz Mejía is the director of the Intellectual Property Practice Group in Baker McKenzie and has worked in IP for more than 15 years. Her practice mainly focuses on advising national and international clients on appropriate protection, management and enforcement of copyright and industrial property rights, including the preparation of exploitation contracts and dispute resolution related to these rights, both on the civil and administrative level.
She is a member of the Firm’s global Copyright and Sports & Entertainment working groups, and coordinates the Copyright working group in Latin America. She was recognized in in Chambers Global 2015 and in Chambers Latin America 2015, 2016 and 2017. Cristina is an arbitrator of the Colombian National Copyright Office.
Cristina is an IP professor at the University El Rosario and University Javeriana, and an IP researcher at the Faculty of Law of University El Rosario in Colombia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a large retail store in a petition action and obtained a favorable decision that led to the reversal of the final decision due to lack of proof of the damages caused.
- Represented a food and beverage company in a trademark infringement case.
- Represented a local company in the defense of a case involving copyright and trademark rights protection within an unfair competition action.
- Assisted in the localization of copyright agreements for a foreign company beginning activities in Colombia.
- Represented a local company in negotiating a transaction agreement involving unauthorized use of software.
- Represented a leading apparel and luxury goods company in obtaining the final rejection of a mark on the basis of an opposition action grounded in the Inter-American Convention.
- Acted for a technology and electronics equipment company in a case of Internet copyright infringement and obtained cease on the use of a software by the infringer, thus avoiding litigation.
- Advised a leading clothing and footwear company in recovering a registered brand by a third party in Colombia.
- Represented a multinational software company in negotiating a transaction agreement with an infringing party over the unauthorized use of a source code.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colombian Center for Copyrights - CECOLDA - Member, Board of Directors
- Association Litteraire Et Artistique International - Member
- Colombia (1995)
- Superintendency of Industry and Trade (Diploma Intellectual Property in the Agroindustrial Sector) (2017)
- Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society (Copyright On-line Course) (2015)
- National Copyright Office (Diploma Mediation and Arbitration in Copyright) (2015)
- National Copyright Office (Diploma Legal Aspects of Audiovisual Works) (2014)
- University of Los Andes (Diploma Market and Culture of Digital Content) (2011)
- University of Buenos Aires (Course Copyrights and Neighboring Rights) (2007)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (Diploma Copyrights and Neighboring Rights) (2005)
- Universidad El Bosque (Post Graduate Degree Philosophy of Science) (1999)
- University Externado de Colombia (Post Graduate Degree Business Law) (1997)
- Universidad Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Señora del Rosario (Law Degree) (1994)